Car suggestions for the missus - 1.5k

Associate
ajgoodfellow said:
...and revise the suspension and replace the door trims...
i have wonderd this what exactly is revised? how is it revised?
or you just goign on what the sales brouchure says? could just be they stuck a washer in somewhere and that is your 'revision'

Soldato
Bug One said:
Ok, the missus's corsa is on its last legs (at last!) so its time for a replacement.

The main requirements are... (not mine)

The end of the car must end at the rear windscreen (so no boot at all)
It must be very low insurance.
It must be very fuel efficient.
It must be cheap to maintain
It mustn't be too old
It mustn't be too high mileage

Plus I'll add one. I mustn't feel a complete tit when I have to drive it.

Cars I've suggested so far are a

Xsara - has boot so no
Almera - maybe, but a bit big.
Rover 25 - Her favourite at the moment
Colt - worried about age / value.

What do you think of this.... after you've stopped laughing. The owners obviously a tasteless moron, but the engine looks immaculate. Obviously all the tat will be removed, including the turbo sticker :rolleyes: and the wheels will be back to silver, but underneath it could be a decent motor?

We're going to take a look at this tomorrow evening. I know everyone goes on about how crap rovers are, but my parents own one of these and I can't fault it for a cheap runaround.

So, can you think of any other cars to look at.

Colts are lovely cars my friends owns a 1.6 16v and boi does it go some :D, I don't think getting it for ya girlfriend would be so good of an idea think the fuel eco is bit bad don't hold me to it though!

Soldato
Malachy said:
i have wonderd this what exactly is revised? how is it revised?
or you just goign on what the sales brouchure says? could just be they stuck a washer in somewhere and that is your 'revision'

It used the suspension from the 200Vi giving a sportier drive

Austin-Rover web resource said:
Engineering changes were limited to re-tuning the suspension in order to deliver more “feel” and a sportier drive – younger people demanded this from their cars and it was the youth market that the re-focussed car was aimed at. In fact, Rover claimed that the entire range now possessed better handling precision and ride control than the outgoing Rover 200Vi – Rover made this claim because, basically, the Rover 25 adopted the chassis set-up of this car almost unchanged. Apart from the tightening up of the chassis settings, remarkably little else was altered – and one can draw one of two conclusions from this fact: a) the Rover 200 was so good that it needed little titivation in order to remain competitive or b) BMW did not release a huge amount of capital with which to facelift the 200, knowing that their own new car was but three years away.

From http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/ - direct link: http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/r20025f.htm (about half way down)

That's an interesting site actually. It talks of the all new 25 replacement, the 35 which was originally intended to be released in 2002

Soldato
Id say there was something wrong with that first colt if he only wants a grand for it...if not though, flipping bargain mate :) Can't believe the amount of carp stickers on there mind, 'turbo' ? wtf...

Back
Top Bottom