Car tax - The law

Soldato
In my experience the DVLA wont go after you if the car has just changed hands.

An anpr van would stop you and report you but see above. Insurance, license and roadworthy is what matters imo

Man of Honour
Aren't you all missing the point, unless I've missed something. The car is NOT MOT'd therefore it can not be driven home anyway. Penalty for no MOT is higher than tax isn't it?

also you'll be liable for any fine after the date signed on the v5. which will be the day you picked it up or before..

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
AcidHell2 said:
Aren't you all missing the point, unless I've missed something. The car is NOT MOT'd therefore it can not be driven home anyway. Penalty for no MOT is higher than tax isn't it?

also you'll be liable for any fine after the date signed on the v5. which will be the day you picked it up or before..

MOTed untill Jan 2007??

Man of Honour
Malt_Vinegar said:
Apparently i cannot book the car in for a fake MOT anymore,

Whats that all about then?

But any way, you have to sign (and date) the v5 to change keeper. If your caught on or after this date its down to you, not the previous owner.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox said:
So you buy a car off some guy and have no problems at all stiffing him for any fines YOU may incur by driving it illegally?

Pathetic.

Who cares? Lifes too short to be anal about every SINGLE little thing.

Im sure he donates to charity, and does his bit.

Just drive it away, the roads are a shambles anyway so we never get any value from road tax, and its not like you havent ever paid it.

Its hardly first degree murder.

Soldato
i got stopped a week after getting a new car and its tax was out. i asked the guy what i was likely to get fine wise and he said it would be minimal as i had only just bought the car.

turns out i never got anything through in the post. bonus :)

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
[TW]Fox said:
I was on about him seemingly being happy for SOMEBODY ELSE to be fined for his actions.

Im not like that really, i was just stating the fact that there was possibly a loophole, and how silly it was.

It seems i was wrong, as seeing as i have signed and dated the v5 slip, its down to me :)

Associate
AcidHell2 said:

From what I've seen in the courts section in the local paper a typical no MOT fine is £60-100 and no tax fine is in excess of £200. Obviously avoiding tax is considered more of a problem than driving around with bits potentially falling off your car. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom