Car terminology that makes you cringe

Soldato
I've always found 'pulls like a train' amusing. Mainly because I now drive a car that actually accelerates exactly like a train. :p

My biggest hate in any car advert is the term 'It'll do someone a turn'. As if paying you to take that rusty, unreliable money pit off your hands is in some way doing me a favour.

Like a train? Trains are pretty slow

Soldato
There’s a small argument to let delete go as it can be an accurate description ie egr delete referring to it being deactivated in the ecu software rather than egr blanked off or egr removed but 99/100 used incorrectly by morons who have actually chopped DPFs out

although you can quite happily delete the function and software for a dpf as well on certain models

Soldato
"
"ICE" used to be In Car Entertainment but some people now call proper engines ICE :(

ICE hasnt meant in-car-entertainment for at least a decade. It's been 'infotainment' for at least that long, which makes sense as the systems now integrate satelite navigation and so on. (Although I get that a lot of people cringe at that term!)

ICE makes perfect sense as a catch-all for all internal combustion or 'piston' cars. It works perfectly well alongside PHEV, BEV, FCEV, and is an industry standard term. :)

Soldato
Delete is still my most hated. Went to a new level when my son was talking about a Fiat Abarth with a back seat delete, I mean.. really?

Soldato
OP
With you on that one. Especially when marketed as being "better" because it doesnt need plugging in.

Toyota will need an abrupt change in their marketing strategy sometime soon....:p
I don't mind that term myself. I mean, the hybrid system does charge itself as it needs no outside intervention (ie plugging in) to do it. I don't think Toyota/Lexus intend to BBB their way into people thinking the energy just magics itself into the battery pack.

Plenty of people worry about not having anywhere to charge a car up so one that has advantages of a hybrid plus doesn't need a charger is an advantage to a lot of people.

Lots of people mentioning 'delete'. One from a few years back that used to wind me up but has thankfully disappeared was the *anything*ectomy phrase to describe removing something. "I've done a mufflerectomy" which translated "I've just fitted a straight through exhaust" or one from the MX5 world "I did a foamectomy on my drivers seat" which meant you chopped a lump of foam out to help fit your oversized frame into a small car :p

Soldato
Whats wrong with them? They are just a trim/equipment level. You may as well say you hated L, GL, GLS and GLS Luxe.

do they have same trim/equipment level as real R, S and AMG cars? no, some people think 'Line' is just different engine as

had a colleague once spouting that she got new an AMG line car, same as A45 but smaller engine! hilarious

Back
Top Bottom