Carabao Cup - Fourth Round ** Spoilers ** [29th Sept - 1st Oct 2020]

Don
Apologies, once in a blue moon you'll post following an Arsenal loss. In all the years I'm yet to see you post anything sensible re Utd, Spurs, Liverpool etc - the moment one of those sides drop points you're the first person to show up with your 'banter'. You were even called out for your banter during the lockdown. The moment it was clear that the league was restarting your went missing again though.

Let's be fair, you are just a little bit of a troll. It's fairly harmless and doesn't bother me but when other members complain about it your posts will get deleted.
Only the biggest of teams in history can fight on all fronts in the cups.
Unless you're a Man City, the days of a PL side fighting on all fronts are over, although that may change when the League Cup gets canned in the summer. That said, the FA Cup will probably then takes its place as being the competition to blood youngsters.

Don
No winter break this season too. I mentioned last night, the quarters of this are flat bang in the middle of the Xmas fixtures. It'll be a brave coach that puts out a strong side.

Associate
Sorry playing catch up.

but at least learn your trade before picking fights with all time greats like Bielsa, Klopp and Mourinho. He will be back in the Championship next season

Bielsa = all time great?

tongue in cheek comment surely?

Are you saying he isn’t the one of the most influential coaches of all time? He is one of the most respected managers from both players and coaches around the world. Not everything is measured on trophies you win. Do you your research lad.

This has to be a joke, an "all time great" does have to win something. Sure you can say he's been influential in the game but all time great, not a chance. When the going gets tough at Leeds he will walk, you said it yourself previously. That's not an all time great, that's what he does. I get you're pleased with him for taking you out of 16 years of exile but an all time great would not be managing Leeds in the Championship. He's won nothing. I get he has cult status because of his personality but his management career is average at best.

Is David Moyes an all time great?

I guess I'm the only one watching Everton. Calvert-Lewin with another hattrick. For a striker that didn't look like he could score he's really starting to impress.

Yeah I said this to you last week, he will beat his last 3 seasons tally if the Midfield stays remotely fit. The signs where there last year but now their playing style has changed he's perfect to take advantage of it. Ancelotti an 'all time great' like Klopp seems to have been the only manager this window to see the weaker areas from last year and make the changes swiftly.

Don
I think you've got to give it a bit more than 3 weeks before you put it down to anything more than a purple patch. The signs are promising with him though.

Caporegime
No winter break this season too. I mentioned last night, the quarters of this are flat bang in the middle of the Xmas fixtures. It'll be a brave coach that puts out a strong side.

That's why I have a bit of hope with us at least. Our second string team played well the other night. The only problem for all the top clubs bar City is that any Prem team under the top six will be fielding a best eleven week in week out so not even time to rest first eleven in the league.

If the Euro's does go ahead it will be a flop as all the players will be knackered.

Don
That's why I have a bit of hope with us at least. Our second string team played well the other night. The only problem for all the top clubs bar City is that any Prem team under the top six will be fielding a best eleven week in week out so not even time to rest first eleven in the league.

If the Euro's does go ahead it will be a flop as all the players will be knackered.
Yep. How the League Cup pans out will be massively influenced by the state of the League table come Christmas imo. The battle for CL spots this season could be even tighter than last and if Everton can join the party along with Spurs and Arsenal, you could be looking at 6 sides battling it out for 2 spots. There will be some big calls to be made, particularly for Ancelotti and Mourinho - the importance of the CL to a clubs long term success is huge but, if you focus on it, the League Cup this season could be the best/easiest chance of a trophy for a very long time.

Don
This has to be a joke, an "all time great" does have to win something. Sure you can say he's been influential in the game but all time great, not a chance. When the going gets tough at Leeds he will walk, you said it yourself previously. That's not an all time great, that's what he does. I get you're pleased with him for taking you out of 16 years of exile but an all time great would not be managing Leeds in the Championship. He's won nothing. I get he has cult status because of his personality but his management career is average at best.

Is David Moyes an all time great?

Who will be remembered in 20 years time, Bielsa for influencing the current best and future coaches in the world or Ranieri who achieved a miracle winning the league with a tiny club, Leicester? It will be the former and hence why he’s an all time great.
His philosophy is about entertaining not just about winning. You won’t find him bringing on a defensive mod when 1-0 up, he will go for the second goal. Obviously you are judged on your trophy cabinet and this thinking probably cost him the bigger jobs and more cups but still doesn’t alter his rep in football. No other coach could have done what he did at Leeds, I can assure you.

Associate
Who will be remembered in 20 years time, Bielsa for influencing the current best and future coaches in the world or Ranieri who achieved a miracle winning the league with a tiny club, Leicester?

In all honesty Ranieri. I bet most people didn't even have a clue who Bielsa was before he went to Leeds. Put his name into the Ocuk search and look at how little he was mentioned before joining Leeds. Where as Ranieri was the coach at the biggest sporting upset in the last 100 years. I struggle to think of a bigger achievement than that, which assures his place forever. Where as Leeds will go down again in the next 2 years and he will quit :p

Don
In all honesty Ranieri. I bet most people didn't even have a clue who Bielsa was before he went to Leeds. Put his name into the Ocuk search and look at how little he was mentioned before joining Leeds. Where as Ranieri was the coach at the biggest sporting upset in the last 100 years. I struggle to think of a bigger achievement than that, which assures his place forever. Where as Leeds will go down again in the next 2 years and he will quit :p

When you say most people you mean a ‘fan’. Ask the people who are in the game; Messi, Pep etc ;). Ranieri despite the glory of one season will always be a bit of a joke of a manager unfortunately :(

Caporegime

Ranieri was a perfect storm. Pretty much all the top teams were in rebuild mode at that point. They played a certain way which by the end of the season was found out but due to how poor everyone was they made it over the line. When you are fighting for a league title with Spurs you know something isn't right. I am not trying to discredit what he done but old guard were all poor or on rebuilds during that season.

Does Zindane go down in History as one of the best managers ever because he won 3 champions leagues? He wouldn't even get in top 20.

Don
Bielsa will always be remembered by hardcore football fans. His CV doesn't really stack up with other great managers but the influence he's had on modern football is massive. Sky done a documentary on him over the summer and you had the likes of Poch and Pep crediting him with having the biggest influence on their managerial careers. He's a manager that brought about new tactics and ways of playings that a lot of the best sides now adopt variations of.

Consigliere

To be honest and this is a hands up situation, i hadn't heard of Bielsa and origionally would have agreed with you but after doing a bit of reading on the guy (just his Wiki - nothing fancy but i am sold already), i am stagered i hadn't heard of him before. Worth a read as i am changing my decision of Ranieri to Bielsa due to what he has done for football.

He has literally influenced some of the best managers in the game through his tactical analysis, totally unique outlook on formations and his approach to the game.

Associate
Exactly. He's influenced others to be greats, not become a great himself. They took what he started and took it to the next level. That doesn't make him a great. He couldn't finish the job, the greats did.

Caporegime
Exactly. He's influenced others to be greats, not become a great himself. They took what he started and took it to the next level. That doesn't make him a great. He couldn't finish the job, the greats did.

Like Zidane what actual greatness did Guardiola have? He walked into one of the best football teams of our generation. Went into a treble winning Bayern side and failed. He has been at City for 5 years now and spent a Billion (This is a guess btw but it wouldn't surprise if I wasn't far off) and still hasn't won a champions league with City.

Bielsa has taken a fallen giant that has been into the wilderness for the past 20 years. Took them from mid table mediocrity to winning the championship in two seasons.

Back
Top Bottom