Caravan & Motorhome Prices

Associate
I’m in the market for either a Motorhome or Caravan, I don’t care about not finding a bargain, I just want to find one for the going rate. I want to find one that isn’t going to plummet in price come August onwards.

Caravan owners, how inflated are used prices, I’ve seen some say they’re at least 25% overpriced at the moment compared to March last year?

Soldato
My parents have got a motorhome, had it for a number of years. It's 11 years old, they could sell it today for about £5k more than they bought it for, it's madness. But as people have said above, due to people not being able to go abroad, demand has gone through the roof. Now is not the time to buy if you want to get value for money.

Don
Just to add to this, if your car doesn't already have a tow bar fitted then get it booked in ASAP.

We've been waiting 2+ months to have ours fitted, there's a massive shortage in parts and fitting availability.

We already have a caravan but we bought a new car last October and planned to have the towbar fitted in Feb or so ready for the Spring, and it's still sat in its box in my garage (although we finally have a date for next Wednesday).

Soldato
As mentioned in another thread... Paid £9k for ours last year in March including motormover, water and waste, wheel lock & hitch lock.

I've seen them up for sale and sell for £13-£14k.

I know we got a good deal and bought private, keep a look out, the odd one does still come up.

Prices shouldn't really dip as they haven't been able to produce so it's not like the market has been flooded with new products people are purely buying what is currently out there.

Best thing we did, loved camping but the extra comforts are great.

For obvious reasons we didn't get away too many times last year but looking forward to 2 weeks in this in Summer.

I'd say go for a lighter weight one which keeps open the market for most people who have the newer licences and can tow under 3.5tonne. I haven't really seen the prices for 5 or 6 berth and twin wheelers go up anywhere near as much.

This is ours:

xIF7xPy.jpg

Soldato
Just to update on price.

Went to a dealer today... Was offered £11k part ex value, £2k more than we paid for it last year!

It seems second hand values are holding but prices for new not so bad.

Saw a nice Bailey Phoenix 650+ up for £20,500... Temping as they have one in stock ready to go but have actual finance on a caravan is something I'm needing to think about.

Associate
OP
Just to update on price.

Went to a dealer today... Was offered £11k part ex value, £2k more than we paid for it last year!

It seems second hand values are holding but prices for new not so bad.

Saw a nice Bailey Phoenix 650+ up for £20,500... Temping as they have one in stock ready to go but have actual finance on a caravan is something I'm needing to think about.
I’m thinking I might as well purchase a new one rather than used, either that or wait a few months.

Associate
We bought our first camper in 2014 for £4k and over the years the rust really started to get the better of it (being an LDV this is commonplace apparently) so going into 2020 we were looking at a £3k repair bill to get the rust done or try and get a grand for it to offset the cost of the replacement that we'd wanted for a while. Something a bit bigger with a bathroom etc.
We ended up looking at the new one just before lockdown and put a deposit on it and eventually collected in June and paid 8k. It's old but only 50k and really good condition. And no rust!

This is the old beast.
rri2khL.jpg
mVcM3AO.jpg

And this is the new.
Maci5GE.jpg

We eventually put the old one online in June with an honest description of the work needed. We got 4k for it.
As far as the new one you'd be lucky to find one for less than £13k now if not more.

For once timing was on our side!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I wouldn't buy a caravan atm - we've just sold our for 9k. We bought it two years ago for 6k. We'll rebuy next year when prices go down.

Wouldn't have used it this year anyway as the sites will be heaving and full of rude newbs

Associate
I took my van out 3 times for 3 nights each time last Summer and will be going next week for 3 nights. Last Summer the sites were busy with ‘mature’ people. I looked/felt young at 45!

Associate
OP
I never understand caravans. Spend 20k. How many hotels does it take before you even break even?

Camping I totally get as it is cheap.
We don’t have kids but we have a dog that we would never kennel so our circumstances for wanting one is different but I’d imagine a family of four would soon pay for itself

Back
Top Bottom