1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carry case for a hollow body guitar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GiraffePencils, 4 Jun 2016.

1. GiraffePencils

Mobster

Hey,

I'm wondering if people with more experience transporting equipment could chip in.
    I've got a hollow body guitar and I'm looking for a carry case for it and I'm not sure what to go for?
    Is a hard case over the top for when I'll just be carrying it (not for hold luggage or anything) or do you really want the added protection when it's a hollow body?
    Will a gig bag be fine for the odd carry about?

I don't plan on transporting often, and it would almost always be hand carried or in a boot. Never in a coach/plane with tons of other cases

Thanks

2. Threepwood

Soldato

If you don't really care too much about the guitar, then get a padded case.

If you do care about the guitar or it is worth a decent amount of money, then get a hard case.

3. Dis86

Caporegime

I'd honestly go hard case. They also look cooler when you busk.

The other option is just skip the case entirely and tie it to your back with an old bit of rope

4. APM

Wise Guy

What's the make and model of the guitar?

5. Scrutinize

Sgarrista

Ritter performance series gig bag circa £50 ones (30mm padding) which I quite happily carry £3k guitars in or a hard case. Flight case warehouse ones are good enough for hard cases..

6. UTmaniac

Soldato

Still trying to picture how to convert a corpse into a musical instrument, nevermind sorting out a case for it.;)

7. GiraffePencils

Mobster

It's a Gretsch guitar, dunno the model offhand.
    I'll look into the ritter gig bag, that or just go for the hardcase.
    I have a hardcase for my solid body electric, and found it a bit ott for it, as I could probably hit it off a wall and the guitar would win :p
    Just net sure how delicate hollow bodies are (this is my first one)

8. Scrutinize

Sgarrista

The Ritter RGP8 series or higher can be better than some cheap hard cases.

9. ancientmariner

Wise Guy

I fly regularly with my band and we usually end up with 4 guitars to bring with us. Most airlines will insist the guitar goes in the hold in my experience. In which case, you will want a hard case. I have seen baggage handlers treat our gear with contempt. You should check with your airline as you dont want your instrument ending up in the hold with a gig bag.

10. EvilRob

Gangster

United Breaks Guitars

11. Scrutinize

Sgarrista

Very true but the OP has said he isn't doing that and it is only for light and carefully handled use so a quality Ritter gigbag (not one of the cheaper series) is a lot easier.

If gigging/touring or esp flying then a proper flight case not just a hard case is a must.

12. APM

Wise Guy

Flight case warehouse do great cases and you can get used from them too,I've had a few cases from them over the years just to store guitars safely here at home.

If it's a Gretsch I'd go for a good hard case with padding then you're ready for all future needs and you know she's safe wherever she is.

13. APM

Wise Guy

I was a member of Richards Guitars forum for a few years and there's a wealth of knowledge on there about the more esoteric aspects of guitar ownership,maybe a quick look on there would put your mind at rest.

That is part of a commercial site though so I hope it's ok for me to mention it here.

14. DavidMarq

Wise Guy

I run with the following rule of thumb:

If it's a set neck guitar with "Gibson type" headstock always a hard case. Headstock breaks are far too common and expensive to fix.

If it's a bolt on neck guitar with "Fender type" headstock i'll risk a soft case but only if the guitar is never out of my possession.

15. Django x2

Capodecina

I'd go hard too if it wasn't for the fact she likes it thumbed softly

16. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I've only got my cousins word for it but around 2004 he was blown up in Alcudia (yes blown up, LPG leak and he lit a fag).
    His Ovation was found in it's case 200 yards away and about a year later when his hands had healed enough I took it out of the case for him and it was still in tune.
    Get a hard case.

Funnily enough all my cases are hard but when I take my Yamaha acoustic out it isn't protected.
    Naughty boy.