Cars for £1000?

Associate
OP
whitecrook said:
any medium - big car 5 yrs or older should do. You'll probably be looking at a high mileage car, but with a diesel this doesn't matter so much. They'll do 200k miles easily these days..

Something like a Xantia / 406/ 409 / mondeo / passat / volvos

Get a lot of car for the money if you look about.

Watch out for stuff you'll need to do after buying at this mileage and account for accordingly e.g timing belt/water pump / tyres / brakes / worn suspension and electrics (if they bother you)

Cheers for the tips fella :)

Have been seriously considering a passat

Man of Honour
bjmerry said:
Have been seriously considering a passat

For a grand? Don't even think about it - it'll be a seriously dated car. You need £2k for a Passat becuase then you can get the previous shape one - £1k will only get you the skanking horrid late 80's to mid 90's example.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
For a grand? Don't even think about it - it'll be a seriously dated car. You need £2k for a Passat becuase then you can get the previous shape one - £1k will only get you the skanking horrid late 80's to mid 90's example.
Skanking. Havent heart that since the 90's. :p

Caporegime
I would'nt buy a £1k Xantia, they tend to need plenty of work for that sort of money, which in itself is why you see so many cheap Xantias.

"Honest John" from the Daily Telegraph said pretty much the same thing in last Saturdays paper iirc.

If your after a cheap diesel, I'd consider a Merc 190D or, a 300D, insane mileages guaranteed, but, there more than upto it. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Primera is a good bet yea but its a popular Taxi vehicle so make sure yours hasnt been. They are chain driven and that'll need doing eventually, not cheap

For 1k your effectively looking for buried treasure, your'll have to shift through a lot of dirt first

Man of Honour
R124/LA420 said:
I would'nt buy a £1k Xantia, they tend to need plenty of work for that sort of money, which in itself is why you see so many cheap Xantias.

I bought a perfectly decent £1k Xantia 4 years ago - £1k these days is near minter money!

Back
Top Bottom