Cartridge Battery Enclosure Replacement

Associate
Hey guys,

So I've been meaning to fix up some of my older cartridge based games that require the battery to be replaced so you can save. I know that I can get some pretty soldered batteries on ebay that will do the job and that are pretty cheap.

However these batteries are from China which means that A they will take ages to arrive in the UK and B they may not be quite up to scratch and I'll just end up replacing them.

My original plan was to actually replace the tabs with an enclosure sort of like this one, so that way whenever I want to replace the battery backup I can just pop a new one in there and buy from a more reliable, long lasting source.

My question is are there enclosures our there that will fit and that can be reliably soldered onto the board for a Pokemon cartridge? Most of the ones in my experience used the same tab system from that first seller but I have a Taiwanese copy of Pokemon Crystal which uses an all metal enclosure (this one unfortunately got pretty badly corroded or oxidised so I've had to de-solder it from the board)

If anyone can drop me a link to something I can buy or just let me know which is these two options I'm better off going with I'd appreciate it.

Soldato
All my gameboy and gba games I've done this to I've just opened the cart up (with a game bit or triwing) pried the battery out with a screwdriver and used electric tape to re-connect the new battery to the old contacts, took 10 mins and I'm now hammering Pokemon Crystal on the train home from work

Associate
OP
I mean I could do that but damn if it just doesn't sound like a bodge job at heart. Besides the Pokemon Crystal versions I have straight up needed a new enclosure to replace the one that was badly soldered there in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom