Case modders & Structural Engineers - Need your advice please

Man of Honour
Hi all,

I've recently bought 2 x 480mm radiators for my water cooled PC, but as the rads are multiports the top 2 ports are fouling the bracket that holds the rads (pics below).

For now whilst trying to find the best option for fitting I've used 2 slightly longer screws at the front nearest the red plugs as shown in the photos to hold the rad to the bracket, but as you can see it's pulling the bracket and putting pressure on the whole thing (and that's without putting fans, fittings, fluid and tubing on it!)

So my query is this, can I safely cut out a small section in the bracket around the red plugs to allow the rads to sit correctly? Will this cause the bracket to become weak, bend, cause issues or problems later on?

uknXk0Q.jpg.png

WoIszDP.jpg.png

jOjBtPC.jpg.png

zV9VRID.jpg.png

Soldato
Here's a thought - create a new fold after cutting the necessary area out. Rather than soldering, maybe add an L-shape bracket with screws or rivets to act as a fold there, for support.

8ncP1Uf.jpg

Would something like that work?

Soldato
My 2p worth
Just cut out the 2 small notches
Its not like it is needing to support a huge weight is it?and unless you go lugging it around to lan partys(unlikely looking at the size of that case)
I would not worry or do as Danny suggested make a small bracket/strap :)

Soldato
You can also get a set of diamond coated hole saw drill bits, for less than a tenner, with diameters of 8mm, 10mm, 12mm etc. Cut from the side that doesn't have the fold and create a nice semi-circle.

Soldato
Don't have a Dremel sadly and it's too much dosh for a small single job :(

@Danny75 those diamond cutters don't seem to do metal, unless I'm missing something?

I'm looking at metal hole cutters or a hacksaw so far :)

My bad. I'd been looking at ones for wood recently for a DIY job. There are different ones for metal though. But if you don't have a drill handy then no go.

Soldato
Taking a look at this as an example (search for a better-known brand if possible):

Hole Saw Cutter MASO 25mm HSS Hole Saw Tooth 6542 High Speed Steel Application for Steel, Metal, Aluminum,Boards

And choose a slightly larger diameter than required due to the pilot bit in the centre having to go into the metal as well, so it'll create a bit more than a semi-circle.

Associate
Is it just to expose the red caps of the radiator ?

If so, I would use a set of round / curved hand files. Would have that notched out in minutes, and very easy to control so that you dont slip or go mad with a power tool.

The metal fold lip on the inner edge your cutting away will provide some form of rigidity in that area around the hole itself... but the rigidity it provides pretty much ends at the edge of that cut out. The rest of the forces are held by the lip around the outer edge of the bracket. Its that outer edge area where it tapers to the frame which is holding the whole weight of the bracket (and whats attached to it). As you're not cutting that area ... then it should hold fine.

Also, the radiator itself has structural integrity which when screwed to the bracket adds to the overall structural integrity of the setup too.

So go ahead and cut it in my opinion.

Man of Honour
OP
Is it just to expose the red caps of the radiator ?

If so, I would use a set of round / curved hand files. Would have that notched out in minutes, and very easy to control so that you dont slip or go mad with a power tool.

The metal fold lip on the inner edge your cutting away will provide some form of rigidity in that area around the hole itself... but the rigidity it provides pretty much ends at the edge of that cut out. The rest of the forces are held by the lip around the outer edge of the bracket. Its that outer edge area where it tapers to the frame which is holding the whole weight of the bracket (and whats attached to it). As you're not cutting that area ... then it should hold fine.

Also, the radiator itself has structural integrity which when screwed to the bracket adds to the overall structural integrity of the setup too.

So go ahead and cut it in my opinion.
Yeah it's just to allow the red caps to come through so that the radiator sits flush in the bracket.

Thanks, sounds like it might be a plan :)

Do you mean the half round files or totally round ones?

Anything in particular I should be looking for when buying a set?

Back
Top Bottom