Case swap woes, help please

Associate
Hi,
Story so far (skip to * for the current problem):
Swapped my PC (6600 quad stock, Abit IP-35, 8800GTX 768mb, 4gb OCZ (2x2bg) PC2-6400C5 DDR2) from an old CM centurion into a lian li V1000.

Now when i booted it spent a long time at the bios screen (pretty sure it crashed as pressing del, to enter bios, did nothing).
I then powered down and drained it, then tried again. This time i went into the bios and everything seemed ok. Passed bios then came to windows loading screen (XP SP2) and froze.
I repeated this a few times with one of the two or an ok boot happening (previously i had changed some fan speed settings in bios.

So i decided to unplug everything non essential (DVD drive and USB card reader/front ports) and got a similar result.
Finally i have reset the CCMOS.

*Now when i boot i get "CPU in unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck CPU soft menu", above this is says my CPU at 6x multi and at 9x, along with mem freq DDR2 798 dual channel.

I can press F1 to ignore and it boots to windows fine (posting from it now!), how can i sort out this error?

Thanks for reading, sorry it's so long but wanted to give you all the relevant info.

Associate
OP
Arrrg, all seemed so well. My graphics card was getting HOT (80 idle 105 in furmark) so i opened up and have cabled tied a fan blowing hot air out of the PCI slots (helping the GFX heatsink).
This has solved the temperature problem.

But i'm still getting stalling at the windows "splash screen". Either is doesnt show up, or it slowly goes from faded to normal and boots.

In addition i loaded UT3 to test and it's now running VERY slowly both on the opening cinematics, menu system and in game (not low FPS just slowly). Other games seem to be fine.

I should learn never to touch my PC ^^

Back
Top Bottom