Cast Iron Skillet

Gep

Gep

Associate
Hello everyone, I've bought a cast iron skillet recently.
It was pre-seasoned at the factory and I was told non-stick, but as soon as I used it to heat up flatbreads, they stuck to to it straight away. I've used it 5 times max, cleaning it with very little soap, trying to unstick the bits of bread with a plastic brush. I've also dried it thoroughly after cleaning and applied olive oil when storing it away.
I also tried to reseason it once in the oven, but it didn't make any difference.

Long story short, in spite of being nearly new it looks pretty rubbish.
What am I doing wrong?
Or are cast iron skillets just not good as non-stick pans?

I am trying to stop using the usual Tefal/Teflon, but everything I've tried has been a total disaster. My last attempt before the cast iron were two kind of ceramic pans, again after 5 usages max they were good for the bin!
hsWY935GHNARV2rY8

Last edited:
Soldato
Your link is broken. Are you preheating the pan on low before using it? I have found from experience that if you go high (and also cook on high) it can cause stuff to stick badly, like eggs. Lodge sell these little food scrapers that are good for getting things off.

Cast iron is brilliant, and will last you a lifetime providing you take care of it and have patience; found just cooking with mine (particularly bacon and eggs) it got better. I'd probably advise against using olive oil after use, it will probably go rancid soon enough; neutral oil is your best bet...

The /r/Castiron subreddit is also great for advice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cast iron generally gets better with time, even the preseasoned ones will likely need to properly seasoned again.

Seasoning should be done with oil that has a high smoke point, not olive oil (veg, avocado, rapeseed are all fine). Rub a thin layer all over the inside of the pan and place upside down in a 200-220c oven for 30 minutes. Take it out and let it cool, then do that again 4-5 times.

This will create a non stick layer and should last a long time.

Gep

Gep

Associate
OP
Thank you both!

Sorry I'm new to the forum and I haven't figured out a way to upload a photo, so I've put it here: https://we.tl/t-mgX1vcv9xF

Yes I was preheating the pan on high, that's how I was thought to heat flatbreads back in Italy on a flat pan which I believe is made of cast iron too: the main difference is that in Italy it would go on top of gas while in the UK I have induction. And there would be no seasoning required, it just works, but I couldn't find it in the shops over here.

BTW the seasoning procedure 4-5 times x 30 mins plus cooling in between sound like a right nightmare.

Soldato
I've had my Lodge 10" skillet for quite some time now. Initially I would wash it with hot water after every use (never, ever, ever, ever, EVER use soap!!) and re-season every once in a while, but for the last 12 months all I've done is just simply wipe it out after each use with some kitchen towel and it's performing at its absolute peak. Not re-seasoned at all in the last 12 months. You will need a little oil in the pan btw, it wont work without it.

Soldato
I've had my Lodge 10" skillet for quite some time now. Initially I would wash it with hot water after every use (never, ever, ever, ever, EVER use soap!!) and re-season every once in a while, but for the last 12 months all I've done is just simply wipe it out after each use with some kitchen towel and it's performing at its absolute peak. Not re-seasoned at all in the last 12 months. You will need a little oil in the pan btw, it wont work without it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Permabanned
Just use it, cook bacon on it, mentally accept the first few times it will stick.

done.

That’s it.

Absolutely this. Quick wash in the sink and maybe wipe a few drops into it as you dry it on the stove but generally speaking the pan will season itself after a while.

I will say however that you should absolutely not use flaxseed oil if you are determined to season with the methods mentioned above. It flakes something awful after a while and can make the pan spot fair bit.

Soldato
Mine lives on the bottom shelf of the oven, it gets used at least twice a week and baked regularly if used or not. Took a while to bed in the coating, we just used the crap out of it frying bacon, sausage etc. Got light pan for eggs and smaller stuff, takes less time to heat up

Soldato
It takes a fair bit of use before you can reliably cook foods that are prone to sticking in them. We used our Lodge 10" pretty much exclusively for frying bacon, sausages and burgers for the first few months but it's now easily more non-stick than any of the teflon frying pans in the house that we've had a while. I'm a total cast-iron convert now and they're really easy to look after once you get used to not just sticking it in the dishwasher.

Soldato
Just cook on it, it's cast iron, it'll probably still be around long after we are.

I've had mine for 2 years and I've never properly seasoned it in the oven, just ensured it's not kept wet else it'll rust. Mine can cook fried eggs and omelettes quite easily with little to no sticking.

They are also great for forearms. :D

Soldato
Don't use soap on it..I just run mine under water and scrub with a wire scourer, dry, rub oil in (whatever it around), heat up to get rid of moisture and wipe with some dry kitchen towel.

Soldato
Don't use soap on it..I just run mine under water and scrub with a wire scourer, dry, rub oil in (whatever it around), heat up to get rid of moisture and wipe with some dry kitchen towel.

You can use fairy liquid on them no problem. Lye is the issue and modern washing up liquids don't contain it anymore.

I've used washing up liquid on mine since the day I had it and the seasoning is spot on.

Soldato
You can use fairy liquid on them no problem. Lye is the issue and modern washing up liquids don't contain it anymore.

I've used washing up liquid on mine since the day I had it and the seasoning is spot on.

Oh fair enough, didn't know that. Although I've never really felt the need to use any anyway.

I had forgotten how good they are, I've ditched my none stick pan in favour of cast iron now, I don't think I've had anything stick since I bought it!

Soldato
for skillet cleanup -
I usually, don't use fairy liquid and just add boiling water to the hot pan and then using a nylon pan scourer/brush to remove any debris,
before another swill with boiling water, and a wipe down with kitchen roll .

I'd like to get one of those bamboo pan scourers, which, I think, would have less chance of melting.

If I've fried anything sugary, like fritters, clean-up would need fairy liquid.

Back
Top Bottom