1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAT 5 cable question

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by TriedandTested, 23 Jan 2006.

  1. TriedandTested


    Joined: 11 Jul 2004

    Posts: 15,406

    Location: Neptune

    What's the difference between standard CAT5 cables and 'Cross wired' cables?

    Just want to make sure i get the right ones!

    Just a quicky, and thanks.
  2. Toytown


    Joined: 24 Aug 2003

    Posts: 321

    Same type of cable, only the wires goto different pins on the connector at the end.

    Normally a "straight" cable will be used to plug your network card (NIC) into a hub/network switch/router etc

    A "Cross-over" cable is normally used when you want to plug 2 devices directly together (without using a hub/switch/router), i.e connecting 2 pcs together directly....or a xbox/xbox360 directly to the NIC card on your machine. A cross-over cable can not normally be used to connect a PC to a hub/switch/router, unless its on the uplink port (normally the last port)
  3. Skilldibop

    Wise Guy

    Joined: 28 Sep 2005

    Posts: 1,284

    Location: London

    Crossover cables are used to connect "like devices" they are still Cat5.

    Cat5 is a data integrity standard which means basically it can carry data over ethernet without error for 100m at 100Mbit under normal circumstances.

    Crossover cables are now pretty defunkt as most switches have autosensing uplinks and most NICs can also autosense.
  4. tolien


    Joined: 16 May 2003

    Posts: 25,368

    Location: ::1

    A lot of network cards will now do the switching over internally, so a patch cable will work with them too.