1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAT D - Buying back

Discussion in 'Motors' started by monkey_boy, 19 Jun 2012.

1. monkey_boy

Wise Guy

Hi All,

I was just hoping to tap the knowledge in here about cat D cars.

What percentage of their trade market value would an insurance company usually sell a cat d car for?

What are the sellers obligations come resale time?

Does it affect the insurance premium because the car is a CAT D?

Would you buy your own car back if it was CAT D'd?

Cheers,

2. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

I would absolutely buy my car back if it was Cat D, especially as anything more serious than a parking mishap would likely result in that. You'll generally be offered the car at its salvage value, depending on the insurer. A minority of insurers will not allow you to purchase it. There are no insurance premium implications.

3. monkey_boy

Wise Guy

How would I get an idea of reasonable salvage value?

4. Maccapacca

Don

I was charged 6% of market value agreed as settlement when I kept back my Prelude

5. monkey_boy

Wise Guy

How much was that if you don't mind me asking?

6. wijcc

Mobster

its depends on the insurance company involved, my car when it was written off I brought the car back from them for £650~. They valued the car pre accident to be either £2200 or £2500. My insurer at the time was admiral.

7. s0ck

Soldato

I recently noticed Swift Cover, for one, will not insure a car that has been 'written off' so there may be others too. A quick HPI check revealed all was well so phew :)

8. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

I believe they are also one of the insurers who will not sell you salvage. They seem one to avoid as there is a number of eyebrow rasing terms they seem to have.

9. rjk

Caporegime

I'm with fox, I would 100% buy my car back as a cat D. I searched too long and hard to find an unmolested example and I would say I would be hard pressed to find something I liked so much with all of the history it has. Having a car with a catalogue of history that has clearly wanted for nothing and has been cherished by the previous two owners is a rarity with the type of car I have.

That said, using the insurance money to go for an S2K could tempt me.
    Touch wood I dont have to think about it.

My advice would be, if you have a car that you love then go for it. If it's just a chuckaway roundabout that you were considering upgrading in the next 18 months or so then it's not worth the hassle.

10. Maccapacca

Don

Was about 150 and I eBayed it for 650 for spares

11. aproctor

PermaBanned

If it is cheap enough, you can be quids in.

My dad had the bumper damaged in a prang, he bought the car back for £1500 and pocketed £3000.

He would have probably got £3500 for the car on a good day anyway, before the crash.

Once cars are this cheap, Cat D makes little difference to most buyers as long as it has MOT and Tax.

12. wijcc

Mobster

opps replied to the wrong thread

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012