Cat on her last legs

Associate
The kindest thing you could do is to put her to sleep - don't prolong her suffering with all this medication.

My old cat had the loss of hearing, appetite etc and the vet just said to have her put down which was the right thing IMO.

Soldato
OP
The kindest thing you could do is to put her to sleep - don't prolong her suffering with all this medication.

My old cat had the loss of hearing, appetite etc and the vet just said to have her put down which was the right thing IMO.

If she's in pain then yes, but that hasn't been said to be the case and I'm not going to have her put down unless there is a damn good reason to.
I'm not going to extend her life if that life is one of suffering but so far this isn't the case.

Don
When something is dead, it's gone, no point messing around with ashes etc, just say your farewells to the animal and leave it with the vet.

It is tough, had to do it myself with my Labrador last year.

If it looks like it isn't in pain, and still has full control of it's bodily fluids, then just let her carry on.

Associate
Fingers crossed for you and your cat OP. I think that the 'correct way' for dealing with the loss of a pet is entirely up to the person in question. If it makes you happy to keep some part of them with you after they're gone, be it ashes or a collar, then bloomin' well do what's best for you. I'd personally go for this option as I don't like the thought of burying my cat and then leaving him behind if I ever move.

Soldato
OP
There is no change in her condition, but she's been treated less than 24 hours. I will check in tomorrow morning and see if the blood tests are any different. If there is no change at that point I will then have to make a decision based on whether or not she is showing signs of being in pain. Thankfully my wife has ducked out of work early to go and spend a little time with her at the vets tonight.

Soldato
Hi m8, look at it this way she's reached a good old age due to the love and affection you's have given her. But if she shows signs of pain, best put her to sleep.

Have to young queens and they are very much part of the family, be gutted if anything happened to one of them.

Soldato
OP
An update on this, and not a good one.
With the aid of a multitude of injections she had a new lease of life and up until yesterday was like her old self. Unfortunately we knew it was a temporary reprieve and this morning my wife took her to the vet to confirm our fears. They could keep her going, but only through the use of stron steroids which were very likely going to give her painful ulcers. We made the very hard decision to put her to sleep.

It's been a fantastic 18 years, during which she's given us so much pleasure.

Genghis, you has a silly name especially for a female cat, but it was well deserved and you were the terror of my friends! I'll miss you.
genghis.jpg

Soldato
Sorry to hear that.

My cat lived to 21 yrs so when she finally went blind and started to go lame we knew it was the end. That was 2 years ago and I guess I'm a big softy 'cus I still miss her.

RIP Genghis

Soldato
So sorry for your loss. I shed a tear reading your post. I have 2 cats, one who is 19 and I too dread that 'day'

I wish you well in these hard times. Just treasure those great times you had with her.

Soldato
Very sorry to hear this.
On the bright side, she has lived to a ripe old age of 18, which is pretty good going.
She's lived a full life and I can only hope that my cats live to that age.

Back
Top Bottom