Cat6 Module wiring

Associate
Hi Folks,
Hope you are all having a good Sunday morning.

We have just bought a new build house, which has been wired up with Cat6 cable for us. The switch will be under the stairs and I need to terminate the cables there. The wall modules have all been wired up already though.

However, when I remover a wall module it is wired up as follows:

Brown - Green
Brown/white - Green/white
Blue/white - Orange
Blue - Orange/white

To me they don't look like either of the methods below. Do I need to ask them to re-wire the modules as below, or as long as the RJ45 pins match what has been wired up in the modules, will they be OK?
If the latter, what order should I wire up the RJ45s?

Thanks in advance for any help someone could give.
Mike

http://kanri.info/images/wiring-diagram-cat-6-rj45-1024x902-with-module.jpg

** Do not hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Don
Take a photo of one of them, upload it to imgur, then show us on here.

568B is what you want in the UK.

Show us what it looks like before calling them back. I assume you want a patch panel on the switch end. You should want one.

Also, how many cables?

Soldato
B

You can just see the B label in the picture of the modules you linked.

Wire a single cable end and test it before doing the rest. Leave as much spare cable as you can. If all else fails you can cut it off and try again.

Any reason you’re crimping plugs on rather than terminating at a patch panel or faceplates?

Associate
Thanks, but is it A or B that I need to do my RJ45s?

I can't quite make out all the numbers on the socket, but looks like 8 is brown and 2 is orange, which indicates T568B wiring. Assuming they followed the same colours on the rest of the connections.

I'd definitely use a patch panel under your stairs, and then short pre-made patch cables to connect the patch panel to your switch. It will make your life much easier.

Caporegime
It doesn't really matter - if you wire B at one end and then A at the other you've made a crossover cable. Every switch that isn't ancient supports auto MDI-X.

Back
Top Bottom