Cat6 SWA cable for garden run

Associate
Going to be installing an ethernet cable to a building down the end of the garden. It will need to run from the house ground floor, along the bottom of a fence with concrete gravel board. Total run around 30-35m.
I've priced up the cat6 SWA cable around £1.90pm (as opposed to external cable and pipe/conduit) and ethernet sockets inside both the house and the garden building.
It'll be mainly for a TV, phone data use and laptop use, no massive data speeds needed.

Does the above sound OK?

Ta.

Soldato
Is there a reason you're not burying it?

I guess my only concern is the SWA is more for burying, i'm not sure how well it'll hold up to long term UV exposure. If you're not burying it (or can't), then it might be better off going external rather than armoured.

Unless someone else can confirm the SWA is good for UV exposure.

Associate
Is there a reason you're not burying it?

I guess my only concern is the SWA is more for burying, i'm not sure how well it'll hold up to long term UV exposure. If you're not burying it (or can't), then it might be better off going external rather than armoured.

Unless someone else can confirm the SWA is good for UV exposure.

What are you worried about, the outer casing fading or physical damage from UV? :eek:

Soldato
Physical damage, the sun ruins anything make of plastic that isn’t UV resistant, particularly soft plastics.

That said, SWA is designed to be outdoors so I’d expect it to be UV resistant.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't know any SWA cable that isn't designed to cope with UV from being outdoors. Maybe it's possible to buy something from Aliexpress but not from reputable cable suppliers.

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the input.
I'd said SWA as although it's a bit more expensive, it's easier just lay next to the gravel board and clip to the wall if need be. It's what was done with a power cable elsewhere in the garden and it was quick and easy.
I assumed SWA would be safe from UV but can't see in the specs to say it is. Maybe it's not needed as they expect it to be buried?

Back
Top Bottom