• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Catalyst 6.5 are out

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
Install the 6.5's, then install the 6.5 chuck patch over the top, if you get a message saying the files you are replacing are newer, just replace anyway. :)

Thanks, just got a phone call saying my GFX card waiting for me at home. :eek:

Can 't wait to install that babe.

Cheers

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Right finally got the drivers and stuff installed. Had problems at the start as the 6.5 cats would not install without existing ATI drivers pre-installed. So had to installed CD drivers and then Cat 6.5 ontop.

I have not got a clue as i am more familar with the nvidia based systems so i guess i better get cracking and familarise myself with the ati equilvant.

A few queries if anyone may be so kind to help.

1. Is there any Coolbits equilvant for the ATI drivers. On nvidia coolbits reg would unlock extra tabs to allow you to montior temprature, overclock, info about pci-e x 16 speed etc.

2. My desktop is normally at a higher resolution but cs i like the smaller resolution. Is there some way with the Cat CCC to set override refresh rate for a specific resolution. Coolbits allowed this so hopefully ATI could too? I just want to make sure my lower resolution is maxed fresh.

Thanks for your help

Kyo

Soldato
Kyo said:
A few queries if anyone may be so kind to help.

1. Is there any Coolbits equilvant for the ATI drivers. On nvidia coolbits reg would unlock extra tabs to allow you to montior temprature, overclock, info about pci-e x 16 speed etc.

Thanks for your help

Kyo

Download ATI Tool (think the latest Beta version is needed).....gives tonnes of OC'ing info/ability - use with care, mind ;)

Caporegime
Kyo said:
2. My desktop is normally at a higher resolution but cs i like the smaller resolution. Is there some way with the Cat CCC to set override refresh rate for a specific resolution. Coolbits allowed this so hopefully ATI could too? I just want to make sure my lower resolution is maxed fresh.

Thanks for your help

Kyo

Is that not in the Display Options menu, the 3D Refresh Rate Override is in there. :)

Soldato
Anyone had any problems with these and Battlefield 2? I tried the official ones before they were up on ati's site and couldnt run battlefield with my card overclocked :confused: anything other than the default 2D clocks and i just got a black screen when trying to run the game. Though my card is stable at 750/860 and runs Oblivion etc without any errors.
Im guessing these drivers are just the same as the ones i tried. hmm maybe installation messed up a bit or something.

Caporegime
SpudMaster said:
Anyone had any problems with these and Battlefield 2? I tried the official ones before they were up on ati's site and couldnt run battlefield with my card overclocked :confused: anything other than the default 2D clocks and i just got a black screen when trying to run the game. Though my card is stable at 750/860 and runs Oblivion etc without any errors.
Im guessing these drivers are just the same as the ones i tried. hmm maybe installation messed up a bit or something.

Yup I got exactly the same with these, using ATI Tool to bump my 3d clocks, just a black screen on starting the game.

Caporegime
SpudMaster said:
oh right, least its not just me then i guess, will be sticking with the 6.3s for now then :)

Even with the Omega 6.3s I still get the odd lock up when changing from 3D->2D, I've gone back to running at stock as I've not found a simple way of clocking the X1800XT yet :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
SpudMaster said:

Im running 6.5 on my x1900 xt clocked to xt-x and am getting over 100 fps with everything maxed at 1600x1200 res, so am seriously happy. Havent got the 1.3 patch installed though.

Soldato
This may be a stupid question, but I've got an Asus Centrino Duo laptop with an ATI M56-P(X1600) graphics card, currently with 6.14 drivers installed - would the 6.5's be worth sticking on the laptop?

Many thanks

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Well that the GFX installed and i must admit, the ati card has slightly sharper, crisper graphics than my last nvidia card, it is hotter though and the drivers were a little strange.

Was wondering is it normal for the installed drivers for 6.5 to not install until base drivers was installed?

I normally

uninstall old drivers, reboot
Safe mode and run drive cleaner.
Then run the install of new drivers. <---- this step refused to go until i ran the base drivers from the CD. Is that normal? ie would i have to do this when i reformat or rebuild in the future, only thing i could think of was that the 6.5 was a update and not the full install of the drivers.

2. I don't quite understand the difference in CCC requested and current clock speeds? does that mean it only runs at the requested speed when it needs to?

Sorry for the 101 questions

Cheers

Caporegime
Ive never had to put base drivers on first so don't know whats up there, i just do Add/Remove, delete the drivers, don't reboot, delete the CCC, don't reboot, then i run the ATi Uninstaller, don't reboot, then i just delete the ATi folder, then reboot, cancel the found new hardware stuff that pops up, and install the new drivers.

Yeah the requested is the 3D speeds which it will go to when gaming, the current clock speeds are the 2D speeds for windows. :)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Ah thanks a lot Loadsofmoney - no wonder your a ati fan - can see why now :D

Thats coming from a life long nvidia fan :D

Cheers for your help.

Soldato
Jabbs said:
Cant you use the normal control panel anymore ? :confused: , this catalyst control centre is crap
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Kyo said:
Was wondering is it normal for the installed drivers for 6.5 to not install until base drivers was installed?
Reinstall the mobo drivers should stop it from saying "standard vga driver not found".

I also use driver cleaner in safemode on top of the above uninstall routine.

Back
Top Bottom