cause of slow pc

Associate
Hi All

I have recently upgraded all the components of my pc.

The old parts i have used to build a PC for someone except i am using a pretty old Sata HDD (the old system ran perfectly well for the age and components). Upon completing build for this 'new' build i've noticed that opening files, running files, opening browser etc takes a while longer than expected.

Given that all the components were the same and the hard drive is the only 'old' part would i be correct in thinking that the HDD is the issue?

Can the speed of an HDD significantly cause performance issues?

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have never heard of an HDD causing this sort of issue. It confuses me slightly because I assume all your software is on the SSD, so surely you would expect that to be the problem rather than the HDD? My first suspect would be that the system is not configured correctly for the SSD so run the appropriate manager software and look.

Soldato
Hi All

I have recently upgraded all the components of my pc except for SSD & HDD.

The old parts i have used to build a PC for someone except i am using a pretty old Sata HDD (the old system ran perfectly well for the age and components). Upon completing build for this 'new' build i've noticed that opening files, running files, opening browser etc takes a while longer than expected.

Given that all the components were the same and the hard drive is the only 'old' part would i be correct in thinking that the HDD is the issue?

Can the speed of an HDD significantly cause performance issues?

Im guessing that you installed Windows onto the SSD and not the HDD ? you also have to make sure that when installing Windows onto the SSD that you have the HDD disconnected, otherwise windows install dumps system files onto both, its stupid like that.

Also your info was a bit vague, is the SSD also new or old ? if it was old, it could probably do with a secure erase, which resets all the cells back to factory defaults before installing Windows, a quick format alone is no good for this.

New system specs please ?

Associate
OP
to clear up -

The old components are going into a build with an even older HDD. Its this build im experiencing issues with. When its running its fine, just very slow to respond eg open programmes/browser etc. speed of drive unknown

Back
Top Bottom