1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cause of slow pc

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SemperFitz, 13 Dec 2018.

1. SemperFitz

Associate

Hi All

I have recently upgraded all the components of my pc.

The old parts i have used to build a PC for someone except i am using a pretty old Sata HDD (the old system ran perfectly well for the age and components). Upon completing build for this 'new' build i've noticed that opening files, running files, opening browser etc takes a while longer than expected.

Given that all the components were the same and the hard drive is the only 'old' part would i be correct in thinking that the HDD is the issue?

Can the speed of an HDD significantly cause performance issues?

Last edited: 13 Dec 2018
  2. Robzere31

Mobster

I'm assuming you did a fresh install of windows when you swapped everything?

3. SemperFitz

Associate

yeas, fresh install

4. pp111

Hitman

I have never heard of an HDD causing this sort of issue. It confuses me slightly because I assume all your software is on the SSD, so surely you would expect that to be the problem rather than the HDD? My first suspect would be that the system is not configured correctly for the SSD so run the appropriate manager software and look.

5. Jamin280672

Wise Guy

Im guessing that you installed Windows onto the SSD and not the HDD ? you also have to make sure that when installing Windows onto the SSD that you have the HDD disconnected, otherwise windows install dumps system files onto both, its stupid like that.

Also your info was a bit vague, is the SSD also new or old ? if it was old, it could probably do with a secure erase, which resets all the cells back to factory defaults before installing Windows, a quick format alone is no good for this.

New system specs please ?

6. SemperFitz

Associate

to clear up -

The old components are going into a build with an even older HDD. Its this build im experiencing issues with. When its running its fine, just very slow to respond eg open programmes/browser etc. speed of drive unknown

7. ExRayTed

Underboss

Tried new SATA cables? I've had them go bad more than once

8. SemperFitz

Associate

I'll give that a go, ty