CBT test tomorrow !!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My local place was quite good. I never needed to do it first time round on my 50 because I could ride it on my driving licence but I got into some bad habits that the guy at the CBT put right. They did loads of roundy roundy cone stuff for slow speed control before we went out. One guy claimed he'd been riding as long as me but didn't know the difference between the front and back brake which was quite comedy.

Some of the bikes the other guys turned up on were shocking though, one got sent back!

Soldato
OP
well... it was easy!

Only thing he said that he could fault me on was getting to close to parked cars, but apart from that he said it was 100%! woohoo :)

now i just need to buy a helmet, jacket and gloves!

Soldato
They obviously talked about road position on your CBT, i try and pretend the car is a new kerb and ride at the same distance away from the car as I would from an ordinary kerb.

Congrats on passing, what are you getting bike wise?

Soldato
OP
i have a Sym City Hopper, derestricted, only cost £350 so im not complaining!

Was going to get a RS50 but the costs would have been way to high.

Just need to get it serviced and get insurance!

Soldato
lukechad said:
They obviously talked about road position on your CBT, i try and pretend the car is a new kerb and ride at the same distance away from the car as I would from an ordinary kerb.

Congrats on passing, what are you getting bike wise?

that to me would put you on the opposite side of the road most of the time given that the best place to be for most roads is right of centre of lane ;) :D

cars door distance is fine for the most part :)

Soldato
L Plate said:
that to me would put you on the opposite side of the road most of the time given that the best place to be for most roads is right of centre of lane ;) :D

The correct road position for a bike is centre of the LANE... which is about the same distance from the kerb as a long car door..

About right what lukechad said I think..

If the road is narrow with parked cars then stay as far right as you can without crossing the centre line

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
L Plate said:

My instructor told me centre/left of centre :confused:

Soldato
I don't ride a bike, nor have I ever riden one but, surely the best place to ride would be bias the right side of the lane so you can see past the cars in front and get a decent view of the path ahead?

Soldato
If i sit centre then i am directly in the bit that cars drop oil on, you are also at the top of the bit that tends to collect all the carp that gets pushed about from the car wheels too.

Look down the centre of a land and have a look at it some time, its a totally 50/50 argument as to where you want to be, personnally i wouldnt want to be on the tip of the camber, i find it much easier to be on the right hand side of it.

I have seen instructors debate this, much the same as they are now debating how much front/back brake to use on stopping, but in reality if you were left of centre then you are nearer to the kerb, not for me chef i see too many cage drivers that would take advantage of that, perfect world maybe, not in the South East of England you dont and certainly not London.

Associate
moss said:
What struck me most was, I was riding an SR125 and a lady who was also doing the CBT was on a 50cc scooter. Ive been driving for almost 4 years now and have covered well over 100,000miles (i think i average 40k a year), she was 33 and had never had a car or bike in her life. She could hardly handle the 50cc scooter, didnt have a clue about road rules and on the final 2 hour drive (during rush hour) it was quite scary watching her.
She has already bought a 100cc scooter, I know its not going to be quick, but I find it worrying she can now ride on the roads with almost no road knowledge. The few hours of classroom time during the CBT was an introduction but IMO no where near enough to prepare someone for the roads.

Scary but not that long ago you didn't even have to do the CBT.

Soldato
MarkLP said:
i have a Sym City Hopper, derestricted, only cost £350 so im not complaining!

Was going to get a RS50 but the costs would have been way to high.

Just need to get it serviced and get insurance!

I am sure you could have picked up an old CG125 for that sort of money, would have been faster than what you have and very reliable.

Are you planning on going further on 2 wheels or happy to stick with a 50cc bike and a CBT?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Enfield said:
I don't ride a bike, nor have I ever riden one but, surely the best place to ride would be bias the right side of the lane so you can see past the cars in front and get a decent view of the path ahead?
Technically that is wrong but in reality it's a safer place to ride if you are behind cars. It's all about being able to see well ahead and having an emergency exit if you end up in a situation. Bikes can't pull up as quick as a car, especially in the wet so you find you ride round a danger. Going down the middle gives you plenty of space, down the side means you either get squashed against the curb or a parked car. I definitely feel safer riding there when I'm around other vehicles.

Soldato
OP
lukechad said:
I am sure you could have picked up an old CG125 for that sort of money, would have been faster than what you have and very reliable.

Are you planning on going further on 2 wheels or happy to stick with a 50cc bike and a CBT?

I prefer something abit more stylish and newer. I only intend to have the scooter for a 10 months as I want a car. This is only to get me from A to B

Soldato
I really should try and get pictures of my new(ish) bike on here and maybe a little bit of a sound file to let you hear what it sounds like :D

Back
Top Bottom