CD audio quality

Caporegime
DannyW said:
hi there
can someone please back me on that CDs and Records sound a lot better then compressed mp3's. a n00b keeps arguing with me that mp3s are just a good. NO WAY. 128-320kbs VS over 1500kbs.

thanks, feel like a idiot posting this but i know im right

What are you listening them out of? And i'll give you a practical answer rather than a technical one.

First, we all know that you can store it in lossless format. Which in my opinion defies the point of MP3 in the first place, the point is to put CD onto a medium that is easily accessable, even with today's HD, 600mb per album will soon fill up most HD pretty quickly.

So with lossless out, you need to choose a compression, well, try it for yourself is all I can say, rip the same song in different bitrate using different methods and then listen it for yourself to see which you strike the balance between quality and size of the file. Stop when you can't tell the difference, may be store it at the next step up for a bit of "security".

There's nothing more to it, if you are happy with 128kbs, then its 128kbs. All this talk about about how some people can tell the difference between 192kbs to CD is just that, perception, and the beauty of that is we all have different perceptions. So try it for yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom