1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-RW Problems

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by divine`, 24 Jul 2006.

1. divine`

PermaBanned

When I try and burn things with Nero (that came bundled with the drive) I'll often find that it tries to create a virtual drive because it has decided there is no CD-RW in the PC.

Whenever it doesn't do this, it will usually only let me select 4x burn speed, which doesn't work and simply creates a 'Power Calibration' Error.

Is this something that is likely to have a fairly obvious solution or could this be anything?

(I don't have regular net access at the moment though, so I may not be able to check back on this for a few days...)

edit - it only seems to be doing this with CD-Rs, CD-RWs are fine...

Could it be that the 'Up to 52x' Maxell CDs I have aren't capable of being burnt as slow as 32x (which I think is as fast as this drive can burn) ?

Last edited: 24 Jul 2006
  2. jbloggs

Soldato

divine_madness:

The version of Nero you got with your DVD/CD rewriter, will be an OEM version, the Retail version is quite a bit better for using to burn all kinds of blank media.

It might be worthwhile disabling the Nero plug-in in Windows Media Player->Tools->Plug-ins->Options->Background, UNtick "Nero Fast CD-Burning Plug-in", Apply, OK etc.

Also right click your DVD/CD rewriter->Properties->Recording->UNtick Enable CD recording on this drive, Apply, OK etc.

Then go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services->IMAPI CD-Burning COM service, double click on it, Status service, set to Stop, Startup type, set to Disable, Apply, OK etc.

Do you have a utility like Daemon Tools installed, if so uninstall it.

No.

What make/model of DVD/CD rewriter do you have?

There is nothing in the Preferences of Nero that I can see would give you the error you are getting. :)

3. [email protected]

Hitman

If it's a modern writer it may need to be on an 80 wire IDE cable.
    (Don't know if this applies to writing CD's but it does to DVD's. :confused: )

4. Indy500

Capodecina

Tried changing cable?