Ceiling Speakers - Position

Associate
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice regarding the positioning of ceiling speakers.

We are currently building an open plan kitchen/dining room as shown in the plan below.

The TV (LG 55C8) is shown as the green bar and the blue circle is the dining table.

I am thinking about using a Sonos AMP and then building some speakers into the ceiling. The problem I have is that I don't know where to position the speakers. Any suggestions?

room-plan.jpg

Thanks,
Carl

Man of Honour
I take it your ideas for the use of the space have changed since the above plan was drawn? You appear to have the dining table and TV in the middle of what was designated as the kitchen. I presume the double dashed line rectangle close to the bi-fold doors is a roof lantern?

Before deciding where (and where not) to position the speakers, it's probably a better idea to start by defining the main standing/seating areas and how much of the space you're trying to cover. The space you've got is a fair sized area, but the thing to bear in mind is that in-ceiling speakers project much of their sound down at the floor rather than forward across the room. This means if you're attempting to run just two speakers for the entire space, and say they're positioned near or over the dining table, but someone is cooking across the other side of the kitchen and wants the sound loud enough to be clear and heard above the sound of extractor fans and clattering pans, then the person sitting at the dining table is going to be blasted out.

Also, is this for TV viewing only, or music, or both? If both, then what's likely to be the split between the two activities; more music or more TV?

Associate
OP
I take it your ideas for the use of the space have changed since the above plan was drawn? You appear to have the dining table and TV in the middle of what was designated as the kitchen. I presume the double dashed line rectangle close to the bi-fold doors is a roof lantern?

Before deciding where (and where not) to position the speakers, it's probably a better idea to start by defining the main standing/seating areas and how much of the space you're trying to cover. The space you've got is a fair sized area, but the thing to bear in mind is that in-ceiling speakers project much of their sound down at the floor rather than forward across the room. This means if you're attempting to run just two speakers for the entire space, and say they're positioned near or over the dining table, but someone is cooking across the other side of the kitchen and wants the sound loud enough to be clear and heard above the sound of extractor fans and clattering pans, then the person sitting at the dining table is going to be blasted out.

Also, is this for TV viewing only, or music, or both? If both, then what's likely to be the split between the two activities; more music or more TV?

Yep, the labels are in the wrong positions. The dining area is on the right, the kitchen on the left. The dashed line rectangle is indeed a roof lantern.

The tv will be mainly used for football and music.

Man of Honour
Before deciding where (and where not) to position the speakers, it's probably a better idea to start by [QUESTION] defining the main standing/seating areas[?] and [QUESTION] how much of the space you're trying to cover[?] The space you've got is a fair sized area, but the thing to bear in mind is that in-ceiling speakers project much of their sound down at the floor rather than forward across the room. This means [QUESTION] if you're attempting to run just two speakers for the entire space[?], and say they're positioned near or over the dining table, but someone is cooking across the other side of the kitchen and wants the sound loud enough to be clear and heard above the sound of extractor fans and clattering pans, then the person sitting at the dining table is going to be blasted out.

Also, is this for TV viewing only, or music, or both? If both, then what's likely to be the split between the two activities; [QUESTION] more music or more TV?

Back
Top Bottom