CES 2019 - VR news and updates?

Soldato
Don't think there is a huge amount going on in terms of VR news beyond that... Oculus already made their big noise about the Quest and are unlikely to start talking about whatever form rift 2 will take until Quest is properly out the gates.

Personally I don't think we'll see much exciting new in terms of hardware for the next year, and CES is of course mainly a hardware show. Only point of interest for me in the semi near future is what the new consoles will end up doing with VR whenever they launch (probably 2020?).

This is a somewhat depressing read: https://www.cnet.com/news/in-2019-v...-dream-gathering-dust-htc-vive-cosmos-oculus/

I think it's probably somewhat accurate, VR has definitely found a home with sim enthusiasts and I don't think that is going to go away now - certainly I have no interest in playing flying or driving games that aren't VR despite it's shortcomings. But for the wider market, I don't know. It will be interesting to see how Quest performs.

My personal feeling is that 2019 will be the year of the mobile headset like Quest, and we are likely to have to wait to 2020 or beyond to see any meaningful upgrade to more enthusiast type headsets where a significant upgrade in technology can be delivered at a suitable price point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom