Challenger: The Final Flight (Netflix)

Soldato
I've just watched all four hour long episodes back to back. It's about the NASA challenger disaster and the cover up of the o ring failures.

Very sobering.

Soldato
I didn't realise it was out yet. Kinda want to see it but not sure I'm in the mood for more sobering/depressing stuff!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The arrogance of NASA was quite something. If the challenger disaster hadn't happened, they were going to send a kid up next.

The arrogance and 'go-fever' of NASA, allied to the outright stupidity of the Morton-Thiokol (SRB contractor) people variously ignoring engineers or telling them to put their management hats on and subsequently giving the go ahead to launch.

Soldato
OP
I didn't realise that the standby teacher asked NASA if she could go up in the next flight. They said no, only astronauts can go now.
She trained for over 10 years I think, and finally went up in 2007 as a communications officer. When she came back to earth, she handed her notice in and went back to teaching.

Soldato
This was a great documentary, even stranger is the Columbia disaster occurred because again, they ignored an issue (insulation coming away from the tank at launch) that had happened on prior flights and was documented. They even knew the damage to Columbia was more severe and didn't communicate this to the shuttle before re-entry because there was no real viable option to repair. Essentially, they put Columbia into re-entry knowing full well there was a chance the shuttle might not survive due to damage to the heat resistant tiles.

Back
Top Bottom