Championship Manager 92/93 or 93/94

Associate
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone knows where the two original championship manager games can be downloaded to play for free on PC?

Or any safe websites it can be paid for?

Thanks in advance
Nath

Associate
You have probably discovered legit copies 97/98 or 2001/2002 released as freeware.

Totally get the nostalgia for particular versions so these are probably not what you are looking for. :)

Given that later CM versions have been released as freeware is a positive sign. The chance of probability that even earlier versions will encumber the wrath of copyright laws is probably slim.

Do some research on the site you may have stumbled upon, and look for red flags, like anything really, is there is an active community (forum or comments) and judge.

Soldato
You have probably discovered legit copies 97/98 or 2001/2002 released as freeware.

Totally get the nostalgia for particular versions so these are probably not what you are looking for. :)

Given that later CM versions have been released as freeware is a positive sign. The chance of probability that even earlier versions will encumber the wrath of copyright laws is probably slim.

Do some research on the site you may have stumbled upon, and look for red flags, like anything really, is there is an active community (forum or comments) and judge.
Is it true people are still making transfer updates for 01/02?

Associate
Is it true people are still making transfer updates for 01/02?

I think you are right Lewis, its still being updated. CM 01/02 is allegedly the holy grail. I only have this view having trawled retro sites and reading original reviews.

Having been an avid reader of PC Zone back in the day, I always recall Champ Manager players confessing their sins (some extreme cases were leading to separation from their partners! :eek:). I think CIV was the only other comparable 'one more turn' game before online addiction came to the fore. I snagged 01/02 to give it a whirl to see what all the fuss is about, but having no clue about footie, I rage quit and reverted back to DOD.

Tried CIV and CM but both fly over my head.

CM like the last iteration of Sensible World of Soccer - a hardcore community who still deliver updates to this day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I struggled getting into any CIV game until 5. Played a lot of that tho!

Have a look for Imperialism 2 its similar to civ and a game I played back in the day. Pretty sure its available on the net. If you do get into it its one hell of a time sink!

Associate
Cheers Lewis.

Being a bit of a retro fan, only to bin legendary games, does make me feel err, unwashed or a fraud. :D

I need to at least put some effort into these timeless classic games - I'll give Imperialism a go!

Soldato
Cheers Lewis.

Being a bit of a retro fan, only to bin legendary games, does make me feel err, unwashed or a fraud. :D

I need to at least put some effort into these timeless classic games - I'll give Imperialism a go!
Hey I only just gave DOOM (the original) a first attempt at actually playing it today instead of using it to test soundcards and pcs.

There is plenty of amazing games but I will admit sometimes they can be hard to break into compared to todays offerings. We were much more patient people back then.

Associate
I'm guessing you got the game by now, so general discussion... I got a World Cup Year 94 disc at a school sale 2 decades ago, so I have an actual disc with actual CM 93/94 (plus Sensible Soccer, Striker and Goal). Played it a lot, my longest game reached year 2030 when there were no real people left (not even real managers).

I'll play it again eventually and even do a CM 93/94 career update story on the official SI forums, people love that nostalgia (did the same with FM 07 and it got 100,000 views). And try not to cheat by immediately buying Chris Bart-Williams!

Back
Top Bottom