Championship playoff Final **Spoilers**

Suspended
hate to disagree with you Gilly, but I will, Leeds are a brand but not a Global brand, so you are half right at least.

Like many of the other posters I would contend that Leeds Utd do not spring to the immediate mind when thinking of Great Worldwide clubs. I grew up on the "great" Leeds sides of the past when they dominated the home scene and as kids we all wanted to be BB\TC\NH\GS\PL\EG\PM\PC but they were the heyday and even the recent sojourn into the Champions Leaugue semi- fiinal would not match those days.

Had that team stayed together for another 10 years then maybe, just maybe, the name of Leeds United would have been on the lips of every schoolboy around the World and ranked as one of the "greats" in football.

Leeds United may be known amongst the football fraternity but to be a truly famous club they need to be known outside the game as well and sadly Leeds are not.

The more obvious are Man Utd, Liverpool, Juventus, AC Milan, Ajax, Bayern Munich, Benfica, Dynamo Kiev, Real Madrid and Barcelona immediately spring to mind as clubs with long traditions in both domestic and European ompetitions.....sadly Leeds are not part of that club.

Notts Forest managed to win two European finals and still couldn't get in the club and are long forgotten. Be happy that they are still in this club, some don't even appear here, and they have actually won the European Cup (A Villa).

Leeds are now possibly in the second\third string of clubs around the World that are known but not famous, certainly NOT Global, the likes of Porto, Feyenoord, Roma, Marseilles, Glasgow Rangers, Anderlecht, Valencia and Lazio.......Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, Arsenal are also in this club!!.

Man of Honour
Who said they were a "great" in football? Who said they were a 'truly famous' club?

You've agreed they're a brand and that they're known around the globe, but say they aren't a global brand. How does that make sense to you?

Pigeon Killer has it :)

Associate
Gilly said:
You've agreed they're a brand and that they're known around the globe, but say they aren't a global brand. How does that make sense to you?

What is a global brand?
A global brand is one that is instantly recognizable to people, anywhere in the world, offering the same benefits. A global brand says both what it is and what it’s like. A brand can be most simply defined as a trusted trademark. But a truly successful brand can be more fully and accurately defined as a product or line of products that: 1) stands for something very specific in consumers’ minds; and 2) establishes a trusted relationship with consumers based on its performance and relevance in their lives. Leeds United may be recognized by a niche group of football supporters internationally, but they are far from being a global brand.

I'll give you another example of something that is not a global brand: OverclockersUK. Sure, people from all aver the world may have shopped there, visited the forums etc etc, so using your logic, they are known all over the world. But can you consider them a global brand? I think not. :)

Man of Honour
Duradrum said:
What is a global brand?
A global brand is one that is instantly recognizable to people, anywhere in the world, offering the same benefits.
Is it? Where does that definition come from? Above is a definition posted by someone that professed not to agree with me, but his evidence backed me up.

I've asked lots of times in this thread what it is if it isn't a global brand. No-one has yet come back with a decent answer.

To take your OcUK example. Not everyone within the computing world has heard of OcUK. I'd wager everyone in the footballing world has heard of Leeds United.

So that the numpties that have been screaming complete inaccuracies and reading into things that I haven't said or intended don't do so again, I reiterate, I am not comparing Leeds to the upper echelons of the footballing world.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Is it? Where does that definition come from? Above is a definition posted by someone that professed not to agree with me, but his evidence backed me up.

I've asked lots of times in this thread what it is if it isn't a global brand. No-one has yet come back with a decent answer.

To take your OcUK example. Not everyone within the computing world has heard of OcUK. I'd wager everyone in the footballing world has heard of Leeds United.

So that the numpties that have been screaming complete inaccuracies and reading into things that I haven't said or intended don't do so again, I reiterate, I am not comparing Leeds to the upper echelons of the footballing world.

ask a kid aged between 8 - 13 from say France have you heard of leeds? do you know this shirt or badge? do you know who there best player is.... what would they say?

then do it to a true global brand.... have you heard of Ronaldo, have you seen this shirt, do you know what team he plays for...

there you have it

Suspended
Gilly said:
Who said they were a "great" in football? Who said they were a 'truly famous' club?

Both of the above are synonomous with Global Brands in World Football. Brazil produces some of the finest footballers in the World yet cannot boast a Global brand at club level. Sao Paulo are perhaps at present the most well known but only because they just won the Supercup.....any British schoolboy would probably never heard of them if not and it would be the same for schoolboys around the World with Leeds Utd.

Gilly said:

Just because Leeds may be known by the footballing fraternity around the World does not automatically give Global status.....when people not directly involved in football have heard of a team it does!!

And as Crazy Fool says, Global branding for a team can also be accentuated by the quality of players at a club, or even in some cases the profile of the Manager, so sadly Leeds are far from Global......unless of course you are going to tell us about the huge numbers of overseas orders Leeds have received for their merchandise or their kits? ;) :)

Man of Honour
Dingo said:
Just because Leeds may be known by the footballing fraternity around the World does not automatically give Global status
I'm afraid it does.

Dingo said:
And as Crazy Fool says, Global branding for a team can also be accentuated by the quality of players at a club, or even in some cases the profile of the Manager, so sadly Leeds are far from Global......unless of course you are going to tell us about the huge numbers of overseas orders Leeds have received for their merchandise or their kits? ;) :)
I don't pretend to know the extent of overseas orders for Leeds United merchandise, but it seems you are aware of it, so why don't you tell us?

Unless, of course, you've made an unfounded presumption based on the current position of the club that is :)

I imagine that the worldwide supporters associations put in a fair amount of orders.

Suspended
Gilly said:
I'm afraid it does.

I'm afraid it doesn't mate. Pele is a global brand because he is known not only in the footballing fraternity but to millions of other people who have no interest in football....so he is globally recognised....Leeds Utd cannot by any stretch of the imagination claim the same status......even if you want to believe it!! Watch any news programmes and you will see street urchins without food, shelter or shoes running around kicking a tin can.... often with a Man Utd shirt on, and if it is ever a white shirt it will be a Real shirt, not a Leeds Utd one.

Gilly said:
I don't pretend to know the extent of overseas orders for Leeds United merchandise, but it seems you are aware of it, so why don't you tell us?

Unless, of course, you've made an unfounded presumption based on the current position of the club that is :)

I imagine that the worldwide supporters associations put in a fair amount of orders.

I have no idea Gilly, but the way you are talking implies that the "Leeds" brand is in shops around the globe, and much sought after by people from all walks of life as a must have accessory in their wardrobe. Much as it must pain you, the Manchester United shirt IS such an article.

I live in London and can buy a Man Utd foorball shirt anywhere within a 100 mile radius of where I live (perhaps that's why there are so many ManU supporters eh?) but I have never seen a Leeds United shirt for sale in any of the aforementioned outlets, why, because outside of Leeds you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would want to be a Leeds supporter because they are not seen as a Big or Famous club, and this is in England where they should be known, so to suggest that Worldwide sales would be anything more than meagre would be ludicrous to say the least...plus of course if worldwide sales were significant then Leeds would have been able to pay off much of it's debts quickly with the revenue.

When you are saying that Leeds are global it is like saying just because everyone worldwide knows Jaffa bananas then all bananas are global by association.......and that is just plain BANANAS!!

Soldato
Dingo said:
I'm afraid it doesn't mate. Pele is a global brand because he is known not only in the footballing fraternity but to millions of other people who have no interest in football....so he is globally recognised....Leeds Utd cannot by any stretch of the imagination claim the same status......even if you want to believe it!! Watch any news programmes and you will see street urchins without food, shelter or shoes running around kicking a tin can.... often with a Man Utd shirt on, and if it is ever a white shirt it will be a Real shirt, not a Leeds Utd one.

I have no idea Gilly, but the way you are talking implies that the "Leeds" brand is in shops around the globe, and much sought after by people from all walks of life as a must have accessory in their wardrobe. Much as it must pain you, the Manchester United shirt IS such an article.

I live in London and can buy a Man Utd foorball shirt anywhere within a 100 mile radius of where I live (perhaps that's why there are so many ManU supporters eh?) but I have never seen a Leeds United shirt for sale in any of the aforementioned outlets, why, because outside of Leeds you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would want to be a Leeds supporter because they are not seen as a Big or Famous club, and this is in England where they should be known, so to suggest that Worldwide sales would be anything more than meagre would be ludicrous to say the least...plus of course if worldwide sales were significant then Leeds would have been able to pay off much of it's debts quickly with the revenue.

When you are saying that Leeds are global it is like saying just because everyone worldwide knows Jaffa bananas then all bananas are global by association.......and that is just plain BANANAS!!

bang on the money mate...... but he won't have it :p

Associate
Dingo said:

Well said that man :D

Back
Top Bottom