Championship playoff Final **Spoilers**

Associate
Gilly said:
I'd be interested to hear an argument against his point.
I’ll accept any argument, provided there are facts to back up your views. If you’ve experienced football in all four tiers of the English football structure, then fair play, I’ll accept your view. However, if not, that’s a massive generalization you’ve just made – one which is very, very wide of the mark. Unfortunately, this is the typical 'elitist' view the vast majority of premiership fans display, one which smacks of naivety and snobbery.

Granted, the further down the football ladder you go, there’s a lot more direct football played, but it’s a real pity when fellow football fans can’t appreciate football from the ‘lower’ football leagues.

I’ll be expecting more ignorant and unfounded jibes from you regarding league 1 and 2 football after next week’s playoff finals :D

Caporegime
Oh dear what happened to Leeds??:eek:. Absolutely got spanked by Watford...congrats to them. Hopefully they will be the new whipping boys of the premiership. Wonder how long it will take Leeds to get back up there where they once ruled the roost so to speak:p

Man of Honour
Good to see the no hopers coming out of the woodwork again :)

Steedie said:
to be fair, leeds would have been a lot worse if they were in the premiership next season

Well done watford :)
There's no way to quantify it either way, but I'm 100% sure you're wrong. Watford don't have a midfield, a large fanbase, any kind of decent projected income, nor do they have strength in depth or a good name in football. They don't have a lot of money to invest, and they may just find players and possibly the manager being picked off to join other clubs.

Leeds again now have the infrastructure, the support, the playing staff and the brand.

I guess Watford probably deserved it on the day, but even one single injury to a key player for any length of time will see them rooted to the foot of the Prem. No doubt in my mind.

I think Leeds lost the game rather than Watford winning it. Putting 5 in midfield against a side that completely bypasses the midfield is a true stroke of genius :/

Permabanned
Gilly said:
There's no way to quantify it either way, but I'm 100% sure you're wrong. Watford don't have a midfield, a large fanbase, any kind of decent projected income, nor do they have strength in depth or a good name in football. They don't have a lot of money to invest, and they may just find players and possibly the manager being picked off to join other clubs.

Couldn't that have been said about Wigan last year.

Man of Honour
dirtydog said:
Couldn't that have been said about Wigan last year.
Parts of it. The playing and coaching staff already at the respective clubs were a long distance apart. Watford wouldn't hold a candle to Wigan's promotion squad.

We're seeing Wigan's better players being bought now though, and still they're not attracting top players.

Need I mention Ipswich? (I don't know how much you know about football, or are merely a fairweather fan)

Soldato
Bodger Badger said:
Nice of you to tar all 72 league clubs with the same brush...I trust you're quite the expert on the 'lower leagues' then... :mad:

Sorry, but its true.
They are almost without exception complete rubbish.

If leeds and watford are what? the 23rd and 25th best team in the country as it stands at the minute, then football is in a sorry, sorry state.

Man of Honour
Bodger Badger said:
I’ll accept any argument, provided there are facts to back up your views. If you’ve experienced football in all four tiers of the English football structure, then fair play, I’ll accept your view. However, if not, that’s a massive generalization you’ve just made – one which is very, very wide of the mark. Unfortunately, this is the typical 'elitist' view the vast majority of premiership fans display, one which smacks of naivety and snobbery.

Granted, the further down the football ladder you go, there’s a lot more direct football played, but it’s a real pity when fellow football fans can’t appreciate football from the ‘lower’ football leagues.

I’ll be expecting more ignorant and unfounded jibes from you regarding league 1 and 2 football after next week’s playoff finals :D
Hang on a minute, he stated his opinion and you challenged it. I asked for your argument, and you asked for his. Doesn't work like that, if you don't agree, you post your argument.

For the record, it wasn't my view. You seem to have your wires crossed. I just happen to agree with him, and don't support a team currently in the premiership either.

Soldato
Bodger Badger said:

You could at least pay attention to who making the remarks.
He agreed with MY point.

I've played a lot of football, and watched a lot of football, My brother could have signed for Boston a couple of seasons ago so i know what goes on, I used to play upfront with a lad who had try outs for lincoln but was passed up for being too "lightweight" he was and still is one of the best footballers i've ever seen, THATS the standard of football in the lower leagues, this lad would dance through defences, was good in the air, had exceptional close control, was fast but lincoln didnt want him because he couldnt just stand there and have the ball lumped up to him, football in the lower leagues is so BAD sometimes i can barely watch it.

Watching that ball get lumped backwards and forwards makes baby jesus cry.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Good to see the no hopers coming out of the woodwork again :)

Leeds again now have the infrastructure, the support, the playing staff and the brand.

I guess Watford probably deserved it on the day, but even one single injury to a key player for any length of time will see them rooted to the foot of the Prem. No doubt in my mind.

I think Leeds lost the game rather than Watford winning it. Putting 5 in midfield against a side that completely bypasses the midfield is a true stroke of genius :/

They may not have any decent projected income, but the cash from just being in the premiership is bound to help. I agree that Leeds would probably have made a better fist of premiership status because, for want of a better phrase, they are a 'bigger' club.

On the pitch and the tactics, was it part of the gameplan to bypass midfield, because the pitch was cutting up so badly or to prevent your 5 in midfield getting a hold of the game? Either way it worked. Surely Watford can't have finished where they did in the table without a half decent midfield?

I've never been a big fan of the play-off's, but Watford amassed more points (just) than Leeds so justice was done. Just my opinion.

Lastly, the pitch was in a state because the game was not originally scheduled to be played after the rugby, with the new Wembley behind schedule this game had to be shoe-horned in. Shame really. If Leeds has played like they did in the second leg of the semi, I reckon it would have been oh so different.

Permabanned
Wolves who are supposed to be one of the best footballing sides in the
Championship i.e they play pretty passing football under Glenn (play the game the right way) Hoddle

Often lump it up front when their fancy football keeps getting cut out, Hoddle
knows this thats why he ****** i dont know how much on a huge Polish striker

Championship sides play that way because they have to scrap, which is why
you get strange results in the cups because Premiership teams dont like playing
against teams that just launch it forward at every opportunity

So theres no argument about it all really :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Will said:
Who just happens to be absolutely rubbish :(

Thats what i mean hes a big dumb striker whos supposed to hold the ball up
instead uf running round like a numpty like he has for X ammount of games

Polish top scorer in the WC qualifiers apparently, my arse he is

Soldato
G|mp said:
Thats what i mean hes a big dumb striker whos supposed to hold the ball up
instead uf running round like a numpty like he has for X ammount of games

Polish top scorer in the WC qualifiers apparently, my arse he is

He's not going to the WC apparently. Got my £10 on Zurawski from Celtic at 100-1 to be WC top scorer

Soldato
G|mp said:
Wolves who are supposed to be one of the best footballing sides in the
Championship i.e they play pretty passing football under Glenn (play the game the right way) Hoddle

Often lump it up front when their fancy football keeps getting cut out, Hoddle
knows this thats why he ****** i dont know how much on a huge Polish striker

Championship sides play that way because they have to scrap, which is why
you get strange results in the cups because Premiership teams dont like playing
against teams that just launch it forward at every opportunity

So theres no argument about it all really :)

I dont agree there, Hoddle's wolves team doesnt do well simply because it isnt any good, He played a full strength side agaisnt United in this years cup and we were not exactly Brazil '70 and we wiped the floor with them simply because they are not a good side.

Good football will ALWAYS beat lumping it upfront, it always will.
Take NI beating England in the world cup qualifiers, our game plan was to lump it long, the ONLY good bit of play in the game won the match for NI.

Good footballing sides will always do better than cloggers.

Soldato
atpbx said:
I dont agree there, Hoddle's wolves team doesnt do well simply because it isnt any good, He played a full strength side agaisnt United in this years cup and we were not exactly Brazil '70 and we wiped the floor with them simply because they are not a good side.

Take NI beating England in the world cup qualifiers, our game plan was to lump it long, the ONLY good bit of play in the game won the match for NI.

greece :p

daz

daz

Soldato
Gilly said:
Need I mention Ipswich? (I don't know how much you know about football, or are merely a fairweather fan)

Another rebuilding year for us now that Joe Royle has gone. We got outplayed for 2 games yet finished I think it was 20 points above West Ham... so we end up losing half the first team squad. :(

We have a good coaching and youth setup though, and the kids are always brought through and taught to play football the "right" way - if we can scrape some money together and get a decent manager, we have every chance of being in and around the play-offs next year - we've had a terrible run of injuries this year, which helped conspire to give us our worst league finish in about 40 years.

Permabanned
atpbx said:

I was at the game, Wolves were trying to spread it out to Kennedy and Seoul
for most of the game until they took the latter off for Cameron who beefs up the midfield, Wolves were trying to pass the ball through MU and as you and i both know theres not many teams that can

Ive watched Wolves on numerous occasions this season and they play some
great football at times but only get a draw, until Hoddle realises you have
to scrap to get out that division and play long ball football they wont be going anywhere

So to sum up i was agreeing with you in the first place :p

Back
Top Bottom