Championship playoff Final **Spoilers**

Associate
I've just got back from the game.

I thought we played poorly and weren't creative enough, we have problems with getting crosses from the left side. It took killa to sprint from CD to win a corner. Defending was abysmal. It took them until the 80th minute or so to get both healy and bakke on the pitch, which was too little too late imo.

Also they lacked the initiative to play the ball along the ground and challenge them in the air which I also noticed against Preston and Palace.

The referee-ing if you can call it that, was appauling. Mike Dean needs to take a long hard look at the game and improve almost as much as Leeds.

Watford had more than their fair share of luck in the game and played like pansies, any kind of push or shoulder and they were over..

The linesman looked like he was having a giggle with some of his decisions and then there was the fiasco with his injury.

Leeds were so close yet so far. :(

Soldato
Vandle said:
I didnt see any of the game.
Id rather Leeds went up than Watford because its a great away day that almost always yeilds us points.

Could be a long away day for you next season :p Likewise I'd perfer Watford as it's close to me, and I'm more likely to go to the Watford game. Although by all accounts Watford is an 80's **** hole.

Soldato
Gooner14 said:
Could be a long away day for you next season :p Likewise I'd perfer Watford as it's close to me, and I'm more likely to go to the Watford game. Although by all accounts Watford is an 80's **** hole.
Point taken :)

It is a little hovel , went there in 99 I think , one of the dullest games Ive ever seen.
Drew 1-1.

Soldato
I watched the "highlights" last night and they were really boring. The best part was Andy Townsend explaining what Watford should do to win the Premier League next season.

Shame for Leeds they need the money. I read in the paper yesterday that their wage bill last year was £19 million and £16 million of that was for players that don't play for them anymore.

Soldato
congratulations watford, and thanks for leaving palace and leeds in your wake :D

and premiership elitism sucks, yes, the teams would probably walk all over the lower league sides but just look at the money. tierry henry's contract is worth more than the entire watford wage bill! i mean, how much money does a club get for winning the premiership, and how much do they get for winning the championship / lg 1 / lg 2.

Its time the playing field was levelled with the premiership being subject to wage capping and the like. Aren't lower league clubs only allowed to pay a certain %age of their incoming monies on wages?

Soldato
Hate said:
congratulations watford, and thanks for leaving palace and leeds in your wake :D

and premiership elitism sucks, yes, the teams would probably walk all over the lower league sides but just look at the money. tierry henry's contract is worth more than the entire watford wage bill! i mean, how much money does a club get for winning the premiership, and how much do they get for winning the championship / lg 1 / lg 2.

Its time the playing field was levelled with the premiership being subject to wage capping and the like. Aren't lower league clubs only allowed to pay a certain %age of their incoming monies on wages?
There was thread on here the other week about this.
Sunderland got 16m for finishing bottom , and iirc Southend got 40k for winning promotion.
Its wrong.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Is it?

How many people go to watch Southend? How many want to see them on telly?

The money is from companies paying to see certain clubs. Why shouldn't those clubs get that money?
The gulf is huge between the two leagues.
I find it unfair that the worst team to ever play in the top flight gets £16m to help them out , while a team who have been promoted on merit are given such are paultry amount to try and stay in that league.

The only incentive to get into the prem is money.
Once in the promised land it discourages teams to compete - especially those with a poor financial standing and are happy to yo-yo up and down for a few years to try and get on an even keel without spending great amounts of cash.

Imo , like.

Man of Honour
The gulf is massive, but is it not deserved? if Southend had the following a Prem side has, they'd have more cash, so could invest more, so could climb the ranks, so could get more back. Speculate and accumulate. Capitalism.

Its how it works. Not sure enforcing any caps, etc. would work.

Soldato
Gilly said:
The gulf is massive, but is it not deserved? if Southend had the following a Prem side has, they'd have more cash, so could invest more, so could climb the ranks, so could get more back. Speculate and accumulate. Capitalism.

Its how it works. Not sure enforcing any caps, etc. would work.

southend have just sold 8,000 season tickets - thats a number not to be sniffed at.

They also took nearly 20,000 to the milennium stadium last season.

Man of Honour
I'm not knocking Southend at all, I honestly don't know of their position whether financial or other. I was simply acting devil's advocate.

I don't see why the teams in lower leagues that no-one wants to watch on telly should get telly revenue is all.

Permabanned
Oh balls im gonna have to agree with Gilly

Its an entertainment industry at the end of the day, look at the premier league
the teams that play nice flowing attacking football get more TV coverage, your
Boltons, Blackburn Fulham whoever dont because they are not particulay exciting to watch

Soldato
i guess its around the whole concept of "selling out" which applies to bands and whatnot too - everyone always moans about someone/thing thats financially secure.

my problem is the massive gulf between the championship and premiership - its nearly impossible for new teams (save a couple of exceptions) to compete in the premiership.

Back
Top Bottom