Championship playoff Final **Spoilers**

Soldato
Gooner14 said:
The FA alone cannot have a wage cap, it needs to be applied across the whole World. I do believe something needs to be done, a certain percentage of income could be spent on wages?

i think if that happened it could make it all go a little seedy or 'underground' big signing on fee's and payouts or 'gifts'

i do agree though but not sure how could it be enforced

Man of Honour
Crazy Fool said:
Yeah i heard a few of the Brazil team wanna come to play for Leeds, i think it was do to with the 'brand' and the 'ability Leeds have to attract players' and those warm summer nights........ :D
Are you honestly saying you think Watford (or anyone outside the Prem) have as good a name in football as Leeds United? :confused:

You really do live up to your name :)

Soldato
Gilly said:
Are you honestly saying you think Watford (or anyone outside the Prem) have as good a name in football as Leeds United? :confused:

You really do live up to your name :)

to the outside eye, leeds united have a poor reputation with thuggish fans

Gooner14 said:
The FA alone cannot have a wage cap, it needs to be applied across the whole World. I do believe something needs to be done, a certain percentage of income could be spent on wages?

Look what happened when the NHL (hockey) tried this, there wasn't a season that year cause the players threw all their toys out of the pram.

Soldato
Hate said:
Look what happened when the NHL (hockey) tried this, there wasn't a season that year cause the players threw all their toys out of the pram.

I believe so. But I don't think it's right when a club could have 3 players on 130k a week (if reports are to be believed). A club that claim they won't be operating at a loss in 5 years...

Man of Honour
Hate said:
to the outside eye, leeds united have a poor reputation with thuggish fans
To your eye you mean.

Leeds are internationally known, and 99% of the buffoons that complain about dirty Leeds (like that know-nothing **** off of Sky on a saturday morning) are on about a tag that Leeds got for being the best at being a hard team. Not for their fans, for their players.

Leeds have never been any dirtier than other sides around. Even when the original dirty Leeds tag was given.

Associate
Gooner14 said:
That's exactly what's been implemented in Leagues 1 and 2 - all clubs are restricted to spending 60% of their income on wages.

Originally the idea was widely criticised, however the cap has kept the vast majority of clubs on a sound financial footing, and has stopped reckless clubs spending large sums of cash in an attempt to reach the 'big time'.

And we all know what happens when the this kind of spending donesn't pay off....i.e. Leeds, a few years ago....

The sooner it's applied to the Championship and Premiership, the better.

Soldato
I have never had any probs at Leeds away with their fans. Boro are by far the worst I have encountered. Apart from Millwall but they aren't really fans :p

Leeds were always a physical side while there were in the prem/division 1. They were also in Europe throughout most of the late 60s and early to mid 70s. A respected side that belong in the top flight. I mean, Sheff Utd...Reading an Watford. I will stake a fair bit of dough on all three of them going back down with a combined points score of under 60.

Associate
Hate said:
I'll give any team kudos for doing that, but as a Brighton fan i've only seen the bad side of the leeds fans when they were down. They had an arrogance about them that they had some sort of right to be in the premiership, and when brighton took 4 points each season we got people on our forum bitching and how they shouldn't be there etc.. etc..

This is only with my experience of away fans at the withdean

Absolutely. Many ex prem teams such as Leeds (and their fans to some extent) behave like it's their divine right to be back in the premiership. This kind of behavour is dangerous, as Nottingham Forest found out.

Historically big teams may be able to attract better players, but once they cross that white line, history counts for nothing. As leeds found out on Sunday :D

No one deserves to be in the premiership - a team has to earn their place.

Man of Honour
I don't believe that is right.

Are people here just echoing things they've heard elsewhere? There's a lot of this on 606 but I've never seen it.

Leeds are a big club. Probably the biggest in England outside the prem. But the playing staff (in the main) and the coaching staff aren't premiership ones. They're good championship ones. So I don't see where the arrogance would come from, except from the fans.

And I've never said Leeds shouldn't be in the Championship. Quite the opposite in fact.

[edit]
Hate said:
That from the mid-80's? Don't remember any trouble at Barnsley since then. And there was a lot of trouble with fans across the entire country back then.

If its been since then its completely passed me by.

Last edited:
Don
Hmmm, problem with Leeds this season, they've forgotten they were a Premiership team and gave opposing teams far too much respect on the pitch, hence the downfall. I don't thinkt his is about arrogance though. Teams should really have feared us for the status we hold (yes, big club).

On paper, we have a team that should have gone up this season, the team was purely built of Championship and lower Div players, so like Gilly has said, where has the arrogance come from? ....Bakke?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bakke spent most of the season on the treatment table or playing in the prem.

Must've been Gary Kelly. All on his tod. Though he's widely regarded as a tip top guy :)

Associate
Gilly said:
I don't believe that is right.

Are people here just echoing things they've heard elsewhere? There's a lot of this on 606 but I've never seen it.

Leeds were a big club. Probably the biggest in England outside the prem. But the playing staff (in the main) and the coaching staff aren't premiership ones. They're good championship ones. So I don't see where the arrogance would come from, except from the fans.

And I've never said Leeds shouldn't be in the Championship. Quite the opposite in fact.

[edit]
That from the mid-80's? Don't remember any trouble at Barnsley since then. And there was a lot of trouble with fans across the entire country back then.

If its been since then its completely passed me by.
edited for truth :D :p

Soldato
Gilly said:
To your eye you mean.

Leeds are internationally known, and 99% of the buffoons that complain about dirty Leeds (like that know-nothing **** off of Sky on a saturday morning) are on about a tag that Leeds got for being the best at being a hard team. Not for their fans, for their players.

Leeds have never been any dirtier than other sides around. Even when the original dirty Leeds tag was given.

Leeds are not internationally known! you live in dream land!

stick to the mars bar in batter :p

Back
Top Bottom