1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing discs and pads ?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Shimmyhill, 11 Jun 2010.

1. Shimmyhill

Mobster

I dont have the tools to do it this time, how much should i be paying to have the front pads and discs changed on the Puma ?

How long a job is it for a garage ?

2. LEK-89

Wise Guy

My local garage quoted me £30 to do a straight swap on the front's & £50 to do a straight swap on the rear's on my Focus if I supplied the discs & pads (the rear's take slightly longer because it's fiddly as the handbrake is there too). Funny enough the front disc's that I received when I bought them were labelled "Ford Puma 00 on>" but apparently MK1 Focus's use the same discs as Puma's.

Edit - when I asked about how long it would take to do the fronts they said it was half an hour to do both sides but they said the rear's would take 45 mins to do both sides.

Liam

Last edited: 11 Jun 2010
  3. Biohazard

PermaBanned

I'd say no longer than an hour. Hour and a half, MAX.

4. Ev0

Capodecina

Place I go to charges an hours labour to change a set of pads and discs.

5. Luke

Soldato

Probably an hour per axle.
    Takes me about 2 hours per axle but I don't have the benefit of car lifts, multiple trolly jacks, air tools etc.

6. Shimmyhill

Mobster

Cheers, i was hoping could be done in an hour :)

7. Gaijin

Don

I think it's like any job, you'll take much longer the first time you do it, so that you'll get it right.

After that, if you do it again, you'll probably do it in half the time.

8. coxmattycox

Gangster

Cost me £140 for new disks and pads fitted at the front on my mk5 fiesta using a big indie garage. Did have the tracking checked also with that. Though I couldn't say if thats good or bad.

9. Rotty

Don

local garage charges £49.99

10. Jez

Caporegime

An hours labour everywhere i have ever queried, per axle.

11. Clarkey

Capodecina

These garages must be slackers it just doesn't take that long. Not unless you have open of those retarded cars like that Rover 600 that was on here where you have to remove the hub to change the disc.

12. Jez

Caporegime

Now you mention this, actually, it was an hours labour INCLUDING a brake fluid change. I had the front brakes changed on the S-Class the other week hence it being fresh in my mind and hence having checked labour costs at a few different places.

13. Shimmyhill

Mobster

Well i have ordered the pads and discs, now shall i have a go myself :o

14. Pete19s

Wise Guy

Go for it, it should be fairly straight forward. Need to get my backside in gear and do the disks & pads on the Megane.

15. Shimmyhill

Mobster

Seeing your location and you can do mine too ;)

16. Pete19s

Wise Guy

Im a busy boy, all work and minimal play. Still I know where you live :p

*Not a stalker*

Last edited: 11 Jun 2010
  17. Jonny ///M

Capodecina

18. no idea what

Capodecina

It takes me an hour to an hour and a half at work, depending on the vehicle. I do things to a high standard though, including shot basting the pad carriers and cleaning up all the bolts etc. I've seen some garages who do very little cleaning up, a wire brush across a couple of things at the most, and no grease to be seen!

19. Pete19s

Wise Guy

The only thing I will point out is if the Puma is anything like the Fiesta brake wise then it wont be bolts holding the caliper to the carrier it will be a "special" allen key type affair.

20. LEK-89

Wise Guy

People have told me as well that the front's are dead easy but the fact that I never attempted to do the brakes & how crucial they are that they are done correctly I just don't dare attempt it. I think I will be confident to do it myself say if a mate of mine showed me how to do it on my car. I have changed plugs, leads, air & pollen filters myself but I have never done the oil either - that is another job that is meant to be dead easy.

Liam