• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Charlie: 260 and 275 prices about to plummet

Soldato
So is it likely nVidia will stop production on the 200 series cards now, or lower the prices a lot?

I'd assume they'll drop production of the cards they physically can't turn a profit on, and drop the prices on the stock they have left, to make sure they sell them at all.

Selling a card at a loss is better than not selling it at all; once the card's made, it has to be sold, one way or another.

This would leave Nvidia in a bit of a tough position untill they can get a card out to compete with the price of the new ATI, not just the performace. We know they can get cards out that will match/beat the ATI cards at most performance points, but there's no way Nvidia's current line up can beat, or even match ATI's cards for costs at the moment.

Caporegime
Amusing read :)

Business is business though. No point calling them ******* for doing what they need to.

He's not calling them gits for stopping production afaik, just stating the facts, he's called them gits for lying about problems, disabling physx, and every other fiasco they've been involved in though, which is fair enough.

He did take the mick out of ATi from what I recall, over the 2900XT, its just, ATi really haven't done anything bad since then.

On the forums, i've only seen a few posts on AMD stuff, he's not exactly having a go at Intel calling them crap, but rather seems unenthusiastic about AMD's cpu's over the next couple years. Its not like he's a fanboy, just likes writing about whoever's screwing up the most.

One of Nvidia's biggest flaws over the past two years, is being so incredibly slow to market with the mid/low end derivitives of their new gen cards, something AMD are doing fantastically with at the moment. Even if Nvidia could get the GT300 out before the end of the year(thats a HUGE if), they still can't compete in the mid/low end for months after that, maybe Q3 2010 at the earliest, and thats the killer. THe GT300 is rather irelevant to them in terms of profit, it would always be low sale ultra expensive and not a big profit turner(in the desktop market at least, not hugely better in the gpgpu market), its their inability to translate that performance down their ranges that will hurt them the most in the next 6 months.

Imagine if Nvidia had a 5770 type card due to launch in 2 months, a price war there, would push a 5770 to around the £100 mark, that would be truly amazing.

Caporegime
rofl so the original article was 100% total bull****?
.....just lol

Learn to read, they HAVE STOCK NOW, but are milking it so people buy quickly before they have to kill the prices, they will STILL HAVE TO SELL all the cards they do have now at ridiculous prices, as someone said, cards already made, the manufacturing cost is already paid, selling them whatever the price is crucial.

The second article is saying they will stop production in a couple weeks, that doesn't stop the fact they could have, hell, a million cards in warehouses that need to be sold still, one has NOTHING to do with the other.

D13

D13

Associate
Learn to read, they HAVE STOCK NOW, but are milking it so people buy quickly before they have to kill the prices, they will STILL HAVE TO SELL all the cards they do have now at ridiculous prices, as someone said, cards already made, the manufacturing cost is already paid, selling them whatever the price is crucial.

The second article is saying they will stop production in a couple weeks, that doesn't stop the fact they could have, hell, a million cards in warehouses that need to be sold still, one has NOTHING to do with the other.

first off drunkenmaster, dont ****ing insult me, just because this is an internet forum doesnt mean ppl cant show some basic manners.

I didnt read the articles just Lightnix response 'Apparently Charlie's saying 'no wait, my bad,'

if thats wrong then I withdraw what i say.

Associate
if it all hits the fan as speculated it would be bad to have invidia leave the market before there is another competitor for ati.

It would be pretty ironic fo rnVidia to go in a pretty similar way to 3dfx - you would have thought they would have avoided the same pitfalls.

Last edited:
Associate
simple math can mess up, heck the GT200 is twice as big as a RV770 aka 4870, thats why AMD can drop prices before NVIDIA can, and realy mess with their arrogance :p

AMD just took out a page of their Intel war tactics plans and used it on NVIDIA >P

dont mind charlie he was right with NVIDIAs realy big messup with bump materials
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-GPU-failure,6248.html

btw, it was time for AMD to be back on top and in force
AMD was first with DX9 Cards, makes sense for them to be first with DX11 cards to

Last edited:
Soldato
Update:

Apparently Charlie's saying 'no wait, my bad, Nvidia have really ****ed up here, they're retreating'.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10...x275-gtx260-abandons-mid-and-high-end-market/

Which more or less imitates the overall message of the much more nicely toned Fudzilla article on the issue.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15831/1/

So both sides of the rumour mill are apparently predicting the untimely demise of GT200. I guess we'd better all hope GT300 is actually going to be with us in a reasonable time period, otherwise I don't see those radeon prices going anywhere. :\

idd, I could even see prices creeping up 'due to $/£ exchange rate and AMD distributation middle men etc type reasons' :eek:

Associate
Its not really his fault they've been nothing but bashworthy for the past 2 years :p

he's had a go at other companies, but the worst companies get it the most and they keep on giving him ammo.

If they were honest about failures, he'd have had nothing to say, but Nvidia lied, lied, lied and lied, and still won't admit what every one of there partners has admited, while they also magically paid off 250million dollars to fix the problem that isn't a problem according to them.

Anyway, as for prices the 5770 looks set to beat the 275gtx, the 5770 is launching at £130, the 5750 is supposed to beat the 260gtx while costing probably £100-110. You can bet that faster cards, with lower power consumption, great idle power(15W apparently), lower load power, DX11, eyefinity and it goes on and on, will sell better than Nvidia cards.

Would anyone on here get a 275GTX over a spanking new 5770 for I don't know saving £10? I think the 275gtx will have trouble selling at all at £120, and will struggle for sales even at £110, and the 260gtx will have to hit £90 and below.

THe killer is, for what seems like the next 3 months Nvidia would be making a loss on basically every single high end sale they can make. A pretty big loss on 260's.

As for retracting, its not really, they are saying they will stop production in a couple weeks, which isn't surprising, actually it is, for 2-3 months(maybe 6 months or more for high/mid/low end) they won't be giving OEM's cards, which is insane, making a loss but keeping contracts and cards going out is one thing, giving up, selling almost nothing for 3-6 months, that is huge, and very very bad, VERY bad.

But that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of stock in warehouses now, trickling out to entice buyers to buy while they are available, which is what the first article was refering to.

The stock problems TODAY, are artificial, that really has no bearing on the fact that in a couple weeks they'll stop production on new cards, one has no connection to the other.

But as he's getting at, even if the GT300 does make it sooner than expected in large numbers, you're talking about a £300 + part minimum, and even a salvaged 260gtx/8800gt/5850 type card will be way above £200. The problem is, they'll normally sell maybe half a mil 285gtx type cards a quarter, while shipping 5-10mil cards priced under £200, a segment they are about to all but abandon for 6 months.

That is huge news, realistically, thats the biggest news to hit the GPU market, in a decade.

Remember while the 8800gtx was out, ATi were making money and selling X1950pro's and below, by the bucket load. They weren't shipping the low sales uber high end part for 6 months, but they were shipping everything else. The news here is, they won't ship, much of anything from £80-400 brackets, and in a couple months, their £0-80 cards will be utterly worthless and likely get scrapped also.

The upshot of not selling these cards at a loss, is literally, not making a loss. They can be saving themselves 10's of millions, hundreds maybe but not bothering, though they still have running costs, staff to pay in the meantime. However, TSMC will be angry at them, with a huge amount of chips they were expecting to be made, not getting made anymore. LIkewise, while Nvidia won't actively make a loss, their market share will take a nose dive, if they just aren't selling many cards for 3-6 months, infact, they'll plummet, and that will hurt them everywhere.

Dev's won't want to be making TWIMTBP games, and releasing, when Nvidia aren't selling anything over a 48SP crap gaming card. Dell and co will have no cards for orders and shift to AMD who would gain a massive stranglehold.

Thats why I said surprising, making a loss while maintaining contracts with OEM's, their manufacturing partners, and keeping market share going is a huge thing to give up, like monumentally huge thing to give up. Not only will TSMC be hurting from lost production, what about XFX, and every company making Nvidia cards who will have smeg all to sell.

THe markets not ready for Nvidia to become a bit part player, we want competition to spark innovation, Intel will help in the future but they aren't close yet, at all, sucks for all of us.
XFX is a ATI partner, and Intel is EviL :rolleyes:

Associate
Just picked up a second hand Zotac Amp! 285 for £140, so there are some bargains out there to be had Nvidia wise :)
have fun ;)
am getting a 5870 1GB soon, heck its a better deal for me am upgrading from a 4870 512MB, and the 5870 1Gb is twice as fast :D

and the sapphire version includes two games i realy want*

Soldato
first off drunkenmaster, dont ****ing insult me, just because this is an internet forum doesnt mean ppl cant show some basic manners.

I didnt read the articles just Lightnix response 'Apparently Charlie's saying 'no wait, my bad,'

if thats wrong then I withdraw what i say.

So you didn't read the article, made some pointless post (like we don't get enough of them), then have a nerd rage because someone calls you out about it?

Ok..

D13

D13

Associate
So you didn't read the article, made some pointless post (like we don't get enough of them), then have a nerd rage because someone calls you out about it?

Ok..

What mnakes your post any more or less pointless? yeah nerd rage, thing is I grew up believing that insulting ppl without provokation is rude, obviously we disagree on this

Back
Top Bottom