Chavette in a Paxo VTS thought she could 'ave me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Simon said:
What difference does that make :confused:

You cant compare apples to pears. If he had got an identical car for £3K less, then he saved £3K. Don't forget he is playing on the whole "I have a 320D engine".

Saying I got a saxo VTS for £2K instead of a Pug 106 GTi for £3500, thats a fair comparison (exactly the same car, different badge).

Saying I saved £4K buying a Vectra rather than an Audi A4 doesn't quite work.

Caporegime
paradigm said:
You cant compare apples to pears. If he had got an identical car for £3K less, then he saved £3K. Don't forget he is playing on the whole "I have a 320D engine".

Saying I got a saxo VTS for £2K instead of a Pug 106 GTi for £3500, thats a fair comparison (exactly the same car, different badge).

Saying I saved £4K buying a Vectra rather than an Audi A4 doesn't quite work.

Well the MG ZT is as good as a 3 series anyway.

But I do see your point

Last edited:
Caporegime
ajgoodfellow said:
Having been in both I'd disagree. My Dad drove both and went for the 75 (this was back in 2001, before the MG ZT was released). He drove a 318i and a 75 2.0 V6 and went for the 75

Yeah, thats a fair comparison :confused:

Try comparing it to a decent 3-series. Anyway, the 3-series (even in 318i form) would have felt the better drivers car.

You've BEEN in both, I've driven both.

Caporegime
paradigm said:
In what way is it as good as a perfectly 50-50 balanced drivers car? I'm in no way saying the ZT is a bad car, but its certainly not "as good as" a 3 series.

Oh no, the marketing of 50/50 has worked on you too. The 75 /ZT is as good as, if not better than a 3 series as What Car also said.

Why on earth do people want 50/50 weight distribution anyway???? There is no advantage from it.

Man of Honour
The reason why many considered the 75 as better than the 3 Series is quite simple - virtually all group tests are done on price.

So, it was a case of BMW 318 v MG ZT 190. Which one would YOU chose? I don't think anyone here with a straight face could pick a 318 over the MG ZT 190.

Had it been, for example, BMW 330i Sport v MG ZT 190 the results would have been considerably different.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 75/MG - I often state that my personal opinion was that it was a great car and the best Rover ever made. But it's no rival to a PROPER 3 Series, and I don't mean the weedy 4 cylinder ones.

Soldato
Simon said:
Oh no, the marketing of 50/50 has worked on you too. The 75 /ZT is as good as, if not better than a 3 series as What Car also said.

Why on earth do people want 50/50 weight distribution anyway???? There is no advantage from it.

Although you may have a point here - not even F1 cars have 50/50 weight distribution; your comment about a rover handling as well as a BMW has killed any weight your point might have carried. (no pun intended :D )

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
Don't get me wrong, I like the 75/MG - I often state that my personal opinion was that it was a great car and the best Rover ever made. But it's no rival to a PROPER 3 Series, and I don't mean the weedy 4 cylinder ones.

Bingo!

I liked the 75 I drove, but it certainly wasn't a patch on the 330ci :)

Soldato
paradigm said:
Yeah, thats a fair comparison :confused:

Try comparing it to a decent 3-series. Anyway, the 3-series (even in 318i form) would have felt the better drivers car.

You've BEEN in both, I've driven both.

The 318 and 75 V6 were competitor cars for similar money - the 75 was a little cheaper.

The 330 is obviously better

As for a drivers car, Dad didn't think it was as amazing as it's cracked up to be but he did say that it was better than the 75. He was looking for a cruiser though that still handles well which the 75 is fine for

He looked at the ZT-T when he came to replace it, but he went for the 75 equivalent as he wanted a travelling car. He's got an MGTF as a sports car. He bought the facelifted model and he says that it handles better than the pre-facelift he had before

Caporegime
Type_R said:
Although you may have a point here - not even F1 cars have 50/50 weight distribution; your comment about a rover handling as well as a BMW has killed any weight your point might have carried. (no pun intended :D )

When did I say that?

Handling is a subjective thing anyway, I have my own opinions/experience of Rovers vs BMWs on the track ;)

Soldato
paradigm said:
What's wrong with french 1600's? 100bhp from an 8v 1.6 is impressive, over 120BHP from a 16v 1.6 isn't to be snubbed at either!

That's not impressive at all.

The 205 1.3 Rallye has 100bhp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom