Cheap 2 seater - MX5, Z3 or MG?

Permabanned
I would test drive a few of each and see which you prefer.

Mk1 mx5s are pretty cheap for parts and labour and simple, but my mk1 has no clock, PAS, ABS, Airbag etc.

I prefer it, but you may not.

Associate
[TW]Fox;16369376 said:
Stretching your budget is never a good idea, even less so when you are stretching to a car with reasonably high running costs.
True, though I was concentrating on the weekend use only bit. That reduces quite a few of the running concerns, though obviously not all.

Anyway, I go back to what I said before: it depends what you want it to do.

Soldato
Mr2 mk1 is awesome but old and I doubt that's what your after although you could get a nice super rare supercharger version for less than 5k
mr2 mk2 turbos are faster than mk1 mr2s as they have like 240hp taking you to 60 in about 5.5 I think they have worse handling although not bad by any means you could get a mint rev5 turbo for like 4000 and try are very reliable
finally mr2 mk3 is excellent in handling stakes but IMO is a gay boy car which the two former versions aren't

Soldato
You could get a decent '80s Camaro, one of the epicly fantastical amazing ...drop dead gorgeous 3rd gens with a £5k budget, more fun than any sewing machine engined little 'sports' car, proper 5.0 V8 ...rwd ...absolutely gorgeous looks (imo, I'm a bit mad for these though to be fair) and a proper 'blood and thunder' sound track :D

But I want the sun on my bald-spot I hear you say ...haha, targa tops! ...well you can get targa variants. You can get soft-tops too but I don't see them for sale often here.

Classic American classifieds have a t-top '89 Camaro for sale for £3500, I would do it myself but I have an already annoyingly temperamental car to sort right now :p ...so like hell am I going to take on a 20+ year old American at this minute.

Last edited:
Soldato
are MR2's any good?

For £5K you can buy an MR-S which although looking girly is actually a good handling car and should be pretty good fun. It's a 1.8L and will run at around 138bhp. Despite the relatively low bhp the overall weight of the car is low weighing in at a smidge under a tonne. Not too sure about tuneability but it doesn't sound like that's a route you want to go down.

Alternatively that budget would get you some fantastic examples of a MK1 (a supercharged example too. If you can find one) or a Mk2 NA/Turbo. However neither are soft tops, the best you can do is a T-Bar roof, however you can tick the fun box, my MK1 is an absolute hoot to drive :D

Soldato
Depends on the OP's build really, if he's a big lad then there's no point suggesting some Kei cars :D

I think MX-5 would really be the ideal choice, wouldn't mind a Mk1 myself actually.

Associate
z3 v mx5

The first mx5 was nice but the latest version has lost its way design wise
we have a z3 fantastic engine and confortable just depends what you want the car for.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I'd be looking at MX5s I think for that budget.

For £5K you can buy an MR-S which although looking girly is actually a good handling car and should be pretty good fun. It's a 1.8L and will run at around 138bhp. Despite the relatively low bhp the overall weight of the car is low weighing in at a smidge under a tonne. Not too sure about tuneability but it doesn't sound like that's a route you want to go down.

Alternatively that budget would get you some fantastic examples of a MK1 (a supercharged example too. If you can find one) or a Mk2 NA/Turbo. However neither are soft tops, the best you can do is a T-Bar roof, however you can tick the fun box, my MK1 is an absolute hoot to drive :D

It's still called the MR2 in this country, the MR-S was just the Japanese model name for it. SO unless you specifically want an MR-S import just need to look for an MR2 :)

And as said there was never really a 'bad' MR2, some of the mark 2s had some questionable engines though (they did a 1.8 mk2 at one point didn't they?).

Back
Top Bottom