Cheap flight but can you?: AMS > LHR > LAS is 1/3 the price of LHR > LAS

Ed

Ed

Soldato
I'm setting up a road-trip next year and found a curious thing; a return flight from Amsterdam to London, then London to Vegas is about £500 (long London layover) but a return flight from London to Vegas is about £1500.

Has anyone ever booked a flight like this then jumped on-board at London?

I'm only a two hour drive from most London airports but I'm not sure about checking in/out at London where luggage might get transferred. Also hand luggage only would solve this I s'pose.

Thanks for anyone's advice.

Soldato
Almost all airlines will void the ticket for the onward flight if you do not board the first flight unfortunately, check the T&Cs.

Is this flying economy? £1,500 doesn't sound right for London - Vegas, it's usually around £500 - 600. Is there any other major cities on your road trip you could fly to instead? When I went earlier in the year, flying to LAX was by far the cheapest out of the airports in that area.

Ed

Ed

Soldato
OP
Almost all airlines will void the ticket for the onward flight if you do not board the first flight unfortunately, check the T&Cs.

Is this flying economy? £1,500 doesn't sound right for London - Vegas, it's usually around £500 - 600. Is there any other major cities on your road trip you could fly to instead? When I went earlier in the year, flying to LAX was by far the cheapest out of the airports in that area.
It was a very quick Google that led to the BA site and those prices but thanks for your feedback. I'll start to investigate further.

Trip is two weeks and will incorporate Los Angeles, San Francisco and Las Vegas (with bits inbetween).

Man of Honour
As above most airlines require you to board on the first leg.

Not done Vegas but I've done the other way - usually Bristol to Amsterdam and then on from there to wherever on the US east coast as often much better prices than direct :s

Soldato
As above, most will void the seats if you're not there for part of the leg. You're better off just doing a non-direct from London; there's lots of cheaper flights via Iceland atm.

Associate
The bit through LHR would be classified as a transfer. You never got landside and never officially enter the UK. Unless you're on the flight from Schiphol then you will not be going to LAS.

There are some very competitive deals as mentioned via places like Iceland. This is because the flight from LHR/MAN etc. to KEF is a short haul flight, only attracting a small amount of APD vs a long haul flight (the crossover is 2000 miles). I imagine the APD out of Iceland is low to zero so you save a lot of money that way.

This is also the way that people like Turkish can capitalise on good deals for long haul as IST are within the 2000 miles range for short haul.

Tax is a killer on flying these days, but some clever airlines are finding ways of getting around it.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Ex-AMS will be cheaper due to competition from KLM, etc.
As said above though, if you don't board in AMS, you can kiss your ticket goodbye. You can always get off in LHR on the way back though.

Don
Ex-AMS will be cheaper due to competition from KLM, etc.
As said above though, if you don't board in AMS, you can kiss your ticket goodbye. You can always get off in LHR on the way back though.

you can but sometimes they can be awkward if you have checked bags but there are ways round it

Caporegime
I'm setting up a road-trip next year and found a curious thing; a return flight from Amsterdam to London, then London to Vegas is about £500 (long London layover) but a return flight from London to Vegas is about £1500.

Has anyone ever booked a flight like this then jumped on-board at London?

I'm only a two hour drive from most London airports but I'm not sure about checking in/out at London where luggage might get transferred. Also hand luggage only would solve this I s'pose.

Thanks for anyone's advice.

Can't you go to Amsterdam on Easyjet for £50 or something and fly 'back' via London to then go to Vegas?

Would rather spend £50 and have a bit of hassle to save £1000.

Associate
you can but sometimes they can be awkward if you have checked bags but there are ways round it

Plus you'll be on the passengers list as already checked in and you'll delay the flight most likely as you'll be missing.

Plus your bags will be automatically transferred as you say. There is no going around that, they will continue their holiday in Amsterdam without you :D

Soldato
I would love to have this as an option, but unfortunately with 2 kids I have to pay through the nose to try and avoid connects when we go on holiday, and if we have to its as short as possible.

Back
Top Bottom