cheap, GOOD looking, car suggestions please

Associate
Hopefully this isn't asking too muchbut I really don't know too much about cars sadly.
I Live in London and What I need is :
Cheap insurance (i've always read to keep it 1.2-1.6l)
A Good Looking car
4 doors (not a fan of 2 door cars)

I plan to use the vehicle a lot going to and from College and if I go out to different areas (not central london) than I'll use my vehicle as well.
I've been looking at a Honda Civic Hatchback for a while but I don't know.

Soldato
A good looking car is, by and large, subjective. Although there are a lot of cars that are objectively ugly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I like the new Renault Clio model but not sure they've dipped into your budget yet.

2 door cars are generally better looking, is there a practical reason you're "not a fan of 2 door cars"?

Associate
OP
Not a bad motor, for that sort of money you wont really get much better looking with your requirements.
alright yeah I was thinking the same, it looks pretty good and it's pretty afordable for me as well

A good looking car is, by and large, subjective. Although there are a lot of cars that are objectively ugly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I like the new Renault Clio model but not sure they've dipped into your budget yet.

2 door cars are generally better looking, is there a practical reason you're "not a fan of 2 door cars"?
A good looking car is something that someone young and in an urban enviroment will drive, not something you'd picture a grown person in.

I'm 18 and go to a big college my friend who's now left to uni had 2 doors and getting in and out was a bit slow.
like i'll mostly be going homewith 2-3 people so I'd rather not have to fold seats and so,

Caporegime
Your in london and your 18

Somehow i get the impression this is the wrong time to be putting aescetics as your top priority in a vehicle.

Pretty much this. Reassess your priorities. You've got them wrong. Can safely say if I lived in London I'd really have no need for a car. The public transport systems are more than adequate.

Associate
OP
Your in london and your 18

Somehow i get the impression this is the wrong time to be putting aescetics as your top priority in a vehicle.
Pretty much this. Reassess your priorities. You've got them wrong. Can safely say if I lived in London I'd really have no need for a car. The public transport systems are more than adequate.

true but it's a goal I've had for a while and isn't really gonna break my bank, makes things easier, i'm often really late because of Public transport (PT) and living where I live, travelling on pubic tansport makes the journey much longer than it could be, example a 15-20min drive on a PT is actually 45min to an hour depending on traffic

yeah i agree the second one does look better I might have to look into 3 doors a little more but isn't 1.8L a little to much for insurance?

Soldato
A good looking car is something that someone young and in an urban enviroment will drive, not something you'd picture a grown person in.

Did you actually just use the word "urban"? Consumerism has won you :D

What I was getting at is you may find people that find a Corsa good looking (I mean, they're everywhere so I assume this to be the case), but I find them horrific. But similarly I do like the looks of the latest Renault Clio. Both of them would be suitable for your urban driving.

like i'll mostly be going homewith 2-3 people

Fair play ;)

Soldato
yeah i agree the second one does look better I might have to look into 3 doors a little more but isn't 1.8L a little to much for insurance?
Go on some insurance comparison sites and just put various car registrations in from autotrader or eBay motors of cars u like and see what quotes you get. My first 2 cars I owned were a 1.6 then a 1.8 Focus petrol and the insurance was not much different and they were both extremely reliable.
Here's another in black. Yes the 3 door does look way better
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...t_cars&year-from=2009&fuel-type=Petrol&page=2

Soldato
You didn't mention reliable. So, Alfa 159.

Not sure I'd actually want a car living in London, it's a hellhole. Get a bike.

Soldato
if reliable what you recommend? and i was also looking at that Alfa 159 a few days ago

Something Japanese. Even 90s Japanese is still pretty solid if looked after.

Don't do what a lot of new drivers do and go and finance some crappy Corsa. Get something you can afford to lose, learn about how cars work and maintain it yourself. Then buy something nice when you have a few years experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom