Cheap resin printers...

Associate
Are they really that bad?

I need to make some miniatures (3mmx7mmx7mm HxWxD will be the smallest) and I don't think my FDM printer can get the resolution I need. I only want some smooth blobs, no intricate shapes or detail.

I was looking at the Creality LD002R, I know the brand and reviews appear decent.

Soldato
Are they really that bad?

I need to make some miniatures (3mmx7mmx7mm HxWxD will be the smallest) and I don't think my FDM printer can get the resolution I need. I only want some smooth blobs, no intricate shapes or detail.

I was looking at the Creality LD002R, I know the brand and reviews appear decent.

Creality are ok till things go wrong.

I had a motherboard go on my CR-6 SE after 4 weeks they sent me one but I had to pay the tax.
They said they would pay me back, but nothing so far.

Buy it from amazon if you can.

Associate
I would buy the biggest one you can as the quality of the prints even on a budget one is fantastic so size is the only issue. I've got a MARs pro but alreay want to upgrade to a bigger one! I.e. a Saturn

Associate
Finally had a Saturn delivered today from Amazon in the UK all unboxed now will level the machine in the morning then print a full build plate, might as well make use of the extra space

Cheers all

Soldato
I have the creality LD-002H (don’t get the R, the H is a massive upgrade for little extra) and it’s a great little printer.

Remember to budget for accessories, a wash and cure station isn’t necessary but does make life a lot easier and you’ll need a ready supply of nitrile gloves, paper towels, IPA etc.

Resin printers are, in my honest opinion, an absolute pain in the arse compared to FDM and you have to be very careful about how you handle both the resin itself and dispose of waste, including the wash waste. You can’t argue with the quality though, I’ve been stunned by some of the stuff that’s come out of the LD-002H and for miniatures there is simply no competition from FDM.

You don’t necessarily need to go creality, but I would highly recommend whichever of the options in that price range you go with it is worth spending the little extra to get a mono screen such as in the H. Massively improved print times (mine only takes around 1.6s per layer with elegoo abs like for example vs anywhere from 7-12s on the R) and significantly longer lifespan of the screen to boot.

Also, get lychee slicer... free version is fine.

Associate
The IPA can also get expensive, since it's pretty much 90% alcohol (tossing wine or beer in the cure tank probably won't do anything :p) but you can get water-washable resins, which allow you to use tap water in the wash/cure tanks, but you still can't just pour the resultant water from those tanks down the drain, could probably let it evaporate though.

I really want to get into 3d printing, just can't decide what to go for, resin or fdm, plus my budget is a bit tight atmo :p

Associate
I have a Sonic Mini 4k. No complaints. Best resolution out there right now I believe (unless there's been a recent new printer I've missed).

Associate
I have an old filament printer and have been looking at the resin printers as a replacement, they have definitely come down to a more affordable price now. The anycubic does look like a decent machine

Associate
Currently using the Creality HALOT one which has a higher resolution than my last printer Sparkmaker. Cost of resin is coming down a lot and it is not as smelly as before but it does still make mess!

Associate
Currently waiting on delivery of a Elegoo Mars 3 & also the large version of the Mercury Plus, pre ordered them in June at the cheaper price.

Talk about slow boat from China.

Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom