Cheap To Run Recommendations

Soldato
Who said 60? It was 80 I said it wouldn't be averaging.

There are 142 110PS Megane DCI 2014-2016 on a popular fuel consumption website and the average efficiency recorded is... 56mpg.

Which is not 80mpg.

Thankfully not* :D

*To be fair it does look really quite good for the money.

I think you found the wrong model, it is a specific varient and your very rude so i wont be replying to you again

Soldato
The other thing is, if you are driving abroad, get a car that will be easy to fix in that country, i.e. a common car in that country, so you don't have problems with parts.

Soldato
I know you are looking to save money but don't forget the value of being in a car that A: You know and trust + B: Touring in a friggin V8 Mustang :p

The days of a big lazy V8 are numbered, this sounds like a nice way to enjoy it.

Also don't buy something really economical but has seats made out of concrete, not fun.

Underboss
The quoted MPG for hybrids is going to be based on mixed driving, e.g. using the electric drive train quite a bit, on long motorway runs you're going to be purely running the petrol engine, so even 55 is going to be pushing it I think

£1.35 seems high for petrol, or is that vpower? Would you still use that in bog standard replacement car?

juat to correct this, Hybrids do NOT purely run on petrol when on the motorway, the Battery kicks in every now and again
ask @Psycho Sonny

Soldato
The hybrid part inflates the on-paper mpg figure massively. A bit like start/stop. You aren't going to spend 90% of the time running on battery in the real world unless you only do really short and low speed trips :p

Associate
personally ..dont shoot me but surely a mondeo tdci 2011 upwards can pick them up cheap in hatch form and my estate regularly returns 40 + around town and being careful on m/w will see 55 only reason im suggesting it is less to lose on resell a 2k car in 3 months should still get you 1500 back and you had the use..

something like ..2011 Grey Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Zetec 5dr for sale for £1795 in Wakefield, West Yorkshire (autotrader.co.uk)

theres plenty to choose from and folk will always buy a ford s/hand.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm still bemused by threads which focus on primarily fuel economy.
Surely the concern here is the TOTAL cost of ownership, meaning that you need to account for fuel, road tax, insurance, regular maintenance, repairs AND depreciation etc. Take all of that into consideration, and in some cases, crappy fuel economy is the least of your worries.

Soldato
OP
The problem is, there isn't necessarily a number/score/rating of how much the other things cost and usually the biggest cost is fuel, which happens to have an efficiency score that we can compare. I also did ask for 'cheap to run' not 'car with best fuel economy' :)

Soldato
For overall cheap to run, get a simple hatchback. Not even one with AC. Complexity is the enemy of reliability and hybrids are complicated :D

Caporegime
For overall cheap to run, get a simple hatchback. Not even one with AC. Complexity is the enemy of reliability and hybrids are complicated :D

Rubbish. Toyota Prius has been around since the 90's and if serviced regularly last 350K miles no issues. There is nothing complicated about them. It's a NA engine and a electric motor with a self charging battery. They have been around for so long now that any competent mechanic can work on them as they are so widely used now.

juat to correct this, Hybrids do NOT purely run on petrol when on the motorway, the Battery kicks in every now and again
ask @Psycho Sonny

Correct. The battery can kick in at any speed. It's just that it can only be forced to run purely on battery alone under 16 km/h but I can make it use the battery at any speed by letting off the accelerate then tapping on it at like 5% or less and it will use battery at any speed. The wife has had one for several years now and I must say I do love the hybrid system and the reliability of the car has been faultless so far in 4 years of ownership I've only had to get a rear caliper fixed that had seized and a new heat shield for underneath which was less than £100 including some preventive maintenance of it by spraying it with heat resistant paint to protect it from rust in future as well as some repair washers to strengthen where the bolts go.

Soldato
It's a good point, but I would still want AC...

Absolutely. Also, for ease of use, if you're going to be carrying bikes around, I'd recommend an estate - I can sling my bike in the back of my Golf but still need to take the wheel off, then storage space is limited. Have you thought about an Octavia Estate?

Soldato
OP
Have you thought about an Octavia Estate?

I think an Estate probably is the way to go. I'm at my mums right now, I drove up yesterday, it's about 3.5 hour drive and I realised just before setting off, I can't easily stop at services as I'd have to take the bike in with me. It would be a PITA. If I have it locked away, maybe even under cover in an estate, no problem at all.

I'm looking at a 2013 Octavia Estate 1.6 TDI SE for £4,500 and I see it quotes 70+ mpg, 88 claimed on motorways. Skoda's are pretty good these days, right? How are maintenance costs and reliability?

Back
Top Bottom