• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cheapest gfx card for 4k movie playback ?

Associate
I want to watch 4k movies from pc on my 4k tv , maybe the odd game but main focus is 4k movies.

Current system

amd fx 8350 - cpu
gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 - mobo
msi r7850 twin frozer 3 - gfx
16gb ddr3 - ram
1000 watt - psu

Any ideas please , ive looked for info online but keep reading conflicting things about gfx cards so i have come here , should have come straight away.

cheers

Associate
The GTX950 has an HDMI 2.0 port which I believe is what you need for 4k@60hz, assuming your TV also supports that resolution?

The whole 900 series range supports HDMI 2.0, but it's always good to check that the individual manufacturer actually included the port on the card as they all add their own connections as they see fit.

Associate
OP
Just see if ive got this clear , if i got the above cable my current setup will be fine ?

Basically any card with hdmi 2.0 will do 4k movies , what amount of grunt will it need ?

Soldato
Just see if ive got this clear , if i got the above cable my current setup will be fine ?

Basically any card with hdmi 2.0 will do 4k movies , what amount of grunt will it need ?

Yes, as long as your TV has a HDMI 2.0 input.

Play a 4K file and see how it goes, it may not display in 4K with your current monitor but the video is still being decoded as 4K.

Soldato
The only gotcha is HDR. If you also want that at 4K you need the latest connection standards (DP 1.4, HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2) which only come on the latest generation cards. Of these the GT 1030 is best/cheapest option for pure HTPC duties. Doesn't have enough grunt for demanding games though.

Associate
OP
lg 49 uh850v - tv
my hdmi cable is 2.0 , im sure its just 2.0 not with a or b , cannot remember
mpc-hc (need to add madvr) / also use powerdvd16 but only for 3d - software

looking at specs of tv it says HDMI 3 (HDMI 2.0a) it says 2.0a does that mean cannot do 4k with hdr ? but can only do 4k ?

i dont play games anymore so dont need to worry about that.

Soldato
HDR was actually added in HDMI 2.0a. 2.0 is plain 4K@60, 2.0a adds HDR, and 2.0b just adds another type of HDR (HLG). So you should be fine for HDR so long as you go for a card with 2.0a or better (I think 2.0a got skipped over on GPUs). There were no changes to the cables, so any 2.0 cable should be fine so long as it is full speed. The latest series cards also have full hardware decode of HEVC which helps to keep playback smooth.

I run a silent, passively cooled GT 1030 in my HTPC. The closest AMD equivalent is the RX 550; it requires a little more power/cooling though.

Associate
OP
Cheers IT Troll

I might have more questions we shall see , currently having other issues with dj equipment that cost me a lot of money so need to sort that now before moving forward on this

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom