Cheapest way to get an AM4 bracket?

Associate
OP
Sorry to be so blunt, but to put htis all into perspective your a Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme, one of the very best if not the very best high-performance air cooler available in the world, and you have it setting on a shelf collecting dust because you can't deside if you want to spend £15 to upgrade the mount.

Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme TY-143 fans are ball-bearing meaning they will run for many many years without issues, so there is nothing to wear out with this cooler. Only problem is your mount.

Also keep in mind the case airflow must be increased to supply the 140+cfm Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme fans flow. Uf case isn't flowing 140cfm to SB-E Extreme, cooler has to re-use it's own heated exhaust air to make up the difference .. and every degree warmer the air into cooler is translates to same number of degrees hotter CPU is.

I have not not been using the cooler, I currently have an issue with my Corsair PSU. An RMA that should have taken 2 weeks is now going into its 10th. But it should get resolved next week or the week after. So I currently have no system to use the cooler with, I do fully intend to use the cooler, so its not just laying around doing nothing. As for the case I have an old Antec 900, but the side is a bit bent and the cooler is a really tight fix so I leave the side laying against the case. So air flow is not an issue, and I am not planning on running the fans on max, my main objective is to get an OKish OC, with very safe temps but more so a quite PC.

For the bracket, since I have no PSU at the moment there is no rush in getting the bracket So I am just taking my time looking at all the options and making sure that I choose the best and cheapest option available. I think unless there is an official bracket on somewhere like Amazon or otherwise the best option would just pay the £15 and get it over with and hope my motherboard hasn't done anything unique that prevents the installation.

Soldato
The AM4 brackets were offered in most cases to compensate for stock already on the shelves that wasn’t compatible with the new platform. €12.99 to get the parts to make a top end cooler compatible with a new platform isn’t unreasonable when you consider €5 of that is P&P. Can you buy anything comparable in cooling terms for similar money? Probably not. So either sell it as is and buy something else, or pay for the parts you need and move on. No need for the drama llama routine.

Soldato
http://thermalright.com/product/1151-cpu-support-spacer

Just noticed this thread and i can confirm what Dark Light said about their crazy idea of free as i wanted the above 1151 spacer a few years back ( that was supposed to be free ) but no one had it in stock apart from their head office in Taiwan and they said that they wouldn't be forwarding any to their resellers , ( Go Figure )?

The only option was to get it from them direct if i paid all the packaging and postage costs and they point blank refused to send it by standard airmail and would only send by insured airmail and gave me a load of old crud about having to fill out paperwork for customs and such , so by the time i paid what they were asking plus the paypal transaction and conversion fees it came to over £20 for a tiny slither of plastic.

And so much for the fast insured airmail as it took 10days to get here and the jiffy bag was plastered in Taiwanese/Chinese stickers and ink stamps , so god knows how many offices it went through before it even got put on a plane.

Soldato
1151 support spacer doesn't support anything. :mad: It fit on top of CPU PCB and pressure is down. Maybe I'm wrong but everything I learned about support loads requires support to be under not on top of whatever is being supported. Besides, the 1151 supposedly flexing and being damaged was just scaremongering. PCGH tested a boxed system by throwing it around while running .. even throught it above their heads and system kept on working. Oh there was damage, but not sane person would treat their system the way they did. Link below is to video. Jump to 3:45 to see the serious misshandling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByL6tRPSBM&t=2s

Oh! And that was with Scythe cooler .. not Thermalright support spacer used.

Soldato
rhmxlk.jpg

* HeadScratch *

I was just confirming what Dark Light said about dealing with Thermalright for his AM4 bracket and their questionable free updates when i dealt with them myself a few years ago.

And as for the spacer , Thermalright clamps had a centre bolt (that some idiots where screwing down too hard) which Thermalright later removed with a redesign , nothing to do with scaremongering...

Last edited:
Soldato
rhmxlk.jpg

* HeadScratch *

I was just confirming what Dark Light said about dealing with Thermalright for his AM4 bracket and their questionable free updates when i dealt with them myself a few years ago.

And as for the spacer , Thermalright clamps had a centre bolt (that some idiots where screwing down too hard) which Thermalright later removed with a redesign , nothing to do with scaremongering...
Sorry to break your bubble, but Thermalright hasn't sold a cooler with center tension screw in many years. The replacement mount for that old one looks like this:
IMG_1403.jpg

But it only works on the original style thick based coolers. Most newer coolers have thinner bases.

Soldato
You seem to be having your own imaginary conversation that has nothing to do with this thread , if you want to burst anyone's bubble then feel free to contact Thermalright support and correct any information they give people and take it up with them for scaremongering , when i asked if i needed the spacer back in 2016 support said yes because i had a bolt down mount ( people are over tightening them ) and that there would be a new design , how could i know any different trying to decipher Broken English? ( /me shrugs ) :)

This thread is about free upgrades not being free because they don't forward the parts to their resellers ( even though their announcements says otherwise ) and then charging people expensive prices.

There have been plenty complaints about this over the years , for example the AMD upgrade bracket from 2017, google " Thermalright wanted me to pay 15€90 delivery for a 20g metal bracket, I have other plans "

So yes from personal experience i can confirm what Dark Light said about them wanting over £20 for a free upgrade , that's all. :)

* edit at 8:40am *

Sorry if that sounded hissy but i was nearly 1:00 AM when i posted and i was tired , tetchy and had a headache.

:( :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It is you that is going off topic. All I did was point that out.

Thread is getting cheap AM4 bracket. After all the title is "Cheapest way to get an AM4 Bracket?"

Last edited:
Soldato
So you didn't even read the first post about free upgrades and why he was asking the question?

How is explaining my experience (and others) with their free upgrades and confirming the price to him going off topic , How else do i explain what happened , telepathy?

I apologised for sounding hissy as maybe i was mistaken for you trolling but it seem i'm correct as you can't even be bothered to read what the OP posted and you are having your own imaginary conversation.

Soldato
True you commented about crazy postage costs of getting free upgrades, but your upgrade was unrealated to thread topic. You then posted about a Thermalright mount that is not AM4 compatable as well as one that is no longer available. And I'm being as off-topic as you by even answering.

Soldato
I didn't comment an opinion , i confirmed the information that Dark Light had with Thermalrights free upgrade with my own experience as being factual that they will charge over £20 , i then proceeded to explain what they are like to deal with ( as Dark Light is not telepathic ) in case he wished to go through with the payment.

If you think being on topic is being off topic then i can no longer reply to you as you're making no sense.

Soldato
I think I might have a CM AM4 bracket back from when the first gen Ryzen's came out - I could probably send it on to anyone if it's needed for the cost of postage :)

Associate
I've just dug out the old AMD bolt through kit https://thermalright.com/product/amd-btk-rev-c/ and drew the 90mm by 54mm rectangle that the AM4 socket has and due to the circle, the mounting draws, it would totally work. You'd have to use the motherboard backplate but still not a bad solution if you have one lying around. Owning a Venomous X and a TRUE Spirit 140 (both more than adequate coolers better than pretty much any 240mm AIO and only losing to Dual towers and 280/360mm AIO coolers), I wanted to make sure I have an upgrade path to AM4 if I decide to retire one of the Intel systems. Worst case I'll drill the new holes in the TRUE Spirit's mounting top and back plates.
P.S. I sent an email to Thermalright weeks ago and haven't even heard from them on the shipping estimate (I presume I never will). Judging by their lack of stock in the stores it appears that they're not in great shape with AIO RGB coolers stealing the thunder of simple effective air coolers in the last 5-10 years.

Edited: Striked out the wrong statement if someone is searching for it in the future. You'd need a proper AM4/AM5 kit which appears to not be available anywhere.

Last edited:
Associate
I've not long emailed them to find out what kit I need to mount my SBE to my new Ryzen, doesn't look good if you've been waiting weeks to hear back :(

Associate
Good news!! I got a reply from .de today & the bracket kits are available again! :cool:

Here's the email I got :-

Dera Thermalright customers,
we aprecciate your patience and we are happy to announce that the availability oft he AM4-kits is given in Europe again.

Like in the past we need your adress and the information which Kit you need (A or B).

The kit itself is free of charge. Only freight charge and a handling fee will be accounted

Customers from Germany can directly follow these links to order the product for 9,99€ incl. VAT

link to Typ A (only for customers from Germany) : https://www.fortknox.de/shop/liste.php?suche=333035
für Macho, True Spirit, AXP-100 all versions, Archon IB-E X

link to Typ B (only for customers from Germany) : https://www.fortknox.de/shop/liste.php?suche=333036
for Silver Arrow (SB-E/IB-E), AXP-200 )all versions

Customers from Europe are kindly asked to send an email to

[email protected]

the cost for the kit in international shipment is 14,99€

Ihr Thermalright-Team

Sönke Ohm

Woohoo! Saves me having to measure & make up brackets! :)
Although I have no idea which kit I would need for my Ultima90 :confused: (yes it is supported - http://thermalright.com/product/true-universal-btk/ ), I'll email them again to find out.

[update]
Well it seems I'm getting mixed up with the different kits. I got a reply back to my earlier email (quick response! :)).

Hi Mark,

for the Ultima 90 /which is indeed a quite "old" cooler you will need the True Bolt True Kit,
which shall be in Europe again in around 5weeks.

Best regards
Sönke

But at least that kit will be making a come back :)
And yes, the Ultima90 was released ~13yrs ago! Lol (although I bought mine a little later).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom