Cheezy Dance and general Manufactured Music

Actually I personally think Dj ing is at least as difficult if not more so than playing and writing music using "proper" insterments.

Ok what they are working with can and usually isnt music they have written however thier skill is in listening to a sound and figuring out what sounds good and will get teh crowd going.

I listen to hip hop which is a form of dance music (actually its a lifestyle that has been brought to the lime light by the music but...) And I would give 100% more respect to the DJ's and Rappers who create and pioneer the new sounds and styles. And the ones who show exeplerlary skill in the existing skills and styles. Than I would give to some Jo shmo rock band that Play in a similar way to another band. I.e AFI are Want- to-Be misfits

There are also a lot of bands that emulate the Clash, Sabbath, Sex Pistols ect. Rappers have their own style of rapping (if they sound like someone else you hear about it)

POP however Is pure PAP I hate it and I cant understand how there is a market for it

Soldato
Originally posted by Kronologic

POP however Is pure PAP I hate it and I cant understand how there is a market for it

Because apparently the main group of people who buy music are those still at school so cheesey stuff appeals to them. (plus some of the older generation like me:D )

Soldato
Krono\shakes his head disaprovingly at DM.

you should be ashamed of yourself
:p

Hehe, it would seem you missed an earlier thread of mine.

/me whispers

I'm going to see S Club in Apri!

Seriously though, its kids who buy the cheese mostly and their disposable income is forever increasing

Associate
I agree it's kids but also it's kind of a "lowest common denominator" in music, especially for students. :D

It's not that we don't hve our own tastes in music. Take a typical student night (I should know). The only way to semi-please most of the people is to play cheese. Personally, I would love to go to a student classic Trance or Hard House night. But to put that on week after week wouldn't be profitable where I am (York), and wouldn't attract the numbers. So I put up with it. I get ******. I have a laugh...and every so often I get to hear a choon when the "DJ" (he doesn't mix and shouts a lot) decides he's feeling generous to the people with taste in music.

Soon it's back to Brum for proper clubbing!
:D :cool:

Originally posted by DirtyMinx
Hehe, it would seem you missed an earlier thread of mine.

/me whispers

I'm going to see S Club in Apri!

Seriously though, its kids who buy the cheese mostly and their disposable income is forever increasing

Oh I saw it I many not have expressed my disapointment and disaproval but I felt it

[Krono-Jack on]

Do you know my brother I understand you work at safeways
His name is Graeme (said Graham) He works in dairy/meat. the fringe on his hair is quite long (last time I saw him) and he tends to brush it over his ear.

[Krono-Jack off]

Soldato
Oh I saw it I many not have expressed my disapointment and disaproval but I felt it

[Krono-Jack on]

Do you know my brother I understand you work at safeways
His name is Graeme (said Graham) He works in dairy/meat. the fringe on his hair is quite long (last time I saw him) and he tends to brush it over his ear.

[Krono-Jack off]

/Me hangs head in shame about S Club

I may do, is his hair very dark?

Soldato
yeah dyed black

glad you know shame for your actions but I hate to break it to you shame wont help you one bit.... Your going to Hell where you will be fourced to listen to the mr blobby song for ever

ARGH!!!! Nooooo!!! I would rather watch all the Xmas shows with Noel Edmonds in them for eternity!!!

Associate
1) You have to differentiate between the commercial **** and quality music. It doesn't matter if music is played on instruments or made in a studio, if it sounds good it sounds good.

2) Many people only hear the cheese of each type of music on the radio and then generalise about the whole genre. I wouldn't hear one 'rock' record on the radio and if I didn't like it say I hate all rock. That would just be pure idiotic.

3) Due to the fact that most of the cheese of the electronic genres is heard on radios (at work for example), people do not give it a chance. I get furious at my m8 who cusses DnB after hearing ONE shy fx track on his work radio, with NO BASS. For god's sake man, it's called drum n BASS how can you say you don't like it if you've only heard half of it at most on a £5 work radio?

4) Many people misunderstand the culture that goes with certain genres. Certain lyrics won't make sense to some people. The lyrics aren't meaningless, in most cases, even if they sound like they are. Just because lyrics in electronic music don't mean anything to you, it doesn't mean they don't mean anything at all.

5) DJ-ing in some cases is an extreme skill. For those who say it's easy - have you actually tried it or know what's involved? DJ-ing is all about the live performance, feeding the crowd energy. There is a lot of creativity involved. For anyone that doubts this, if you have broadband check watch the "Marky + Patife @ GSSS" at www.breakbeat.co.uk. The skills this man has on the decks is amazing, he drums the decks, scratches perfectly, spot on mixes. And all this is live too - songwriters don't have to be creative under pressure.

6) I've been an idiot too many times and said I've hated a certain type of music on the basis of listening to one of two tracks. DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE! I would never say I hate any type of music now, it's just narrow minded to do so.

7) Music which is made just to sell copies with little creativity, i.e. pop or cheese is ****. However, even here some tracks are on the borderline of cheese/pop - I normally stick clear of the charts to avoid elements of cheese altogether :)

Dan

Originally posted by Spike
1) You have to differentiate between the commercial **** and quality music. It doesn't matter if music is played on instruments or made in a studio, if it sounds good it sounds good.

2) Many people only hear the cheese of each type of music on the radio and then generalise about the whole genre. I wouldn't hear one 'rock' record on the radio and if I didn't like it say I hate all rock. That would just be pure idiotic.

3) Due to the fact that most of the cheese of the electronic genres is heard on radios (at work for example), people do not give it a chance. I get furious at my m8 who cusses DnB after hearing ONE shy fx track on his work radio, with NO BASS. For god's sake man, it's called drum n BASS how can you say you don't like it if you've only heard half of it at most on a £5 work radio?

4) Many people misunderstand the culture that goes with certain genres. Certain lyrics won't make sense to some people. The lyrics aren't meaningless, in most cases, even if they sound like they are. Just because lyrics in electronic music don't mean anything to you, it doesn't mean they don't mean anything at all.

5) DJ-ing in some cases is an extreme skill. For those who say it's easy - have you actually tried it or know what's involved? DJ-ing is all about the live performance, feeding the crowd energy. There is a lot of creativity involved. For anyone that doubts this, if you have broadband check watch the "Marky + Patife @ GSSS" at www.breakbeat.co.uk. The skills this man has on the decks is amazing, he drums the decks, scratches perfectly, spot on mixes. And all this is live too - songwriters don't have to be creative under pressure.

6) I've been an idiot too many times and said I've hated a certain type of music on the basis of listening to one of two tracks. DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE! I would never say I hate any type of music now, it's just narrow minded to do so.

7) Music which is made just to sell copies with little creativity, i.e. pop or cheese is ****. However, even here some tracks are on the borderline of cheese/pop - I normally stick clear of the charts to avoid elements of cheese altogether :)

Dan

Truely well said:D

Round of applause for this man

Soldato
OP
I think this thread is getting a bit off the point which I originally made. I was not having a go a dance in any way and I don't hate it but I hate the commercial rubbish that is included in the genre. The point that I was making is that there is so much of this rubbish dance around compared to rubbish songs in other genres.

"DJ-ing is all about the live performance, feeding the crowd
energy." I see where you are coming from on this point but all performances whether it is dance or opera rely on the connection between the crowd.

However, even here some tracks are on the borderline of cheese/pop - I normally stick clear of the charts to avoid elements of cheese altogether : They are very wise words :D .

Universal

Associate
Have any of you actually sat down with a set of decks and tried to do a set? It's bloody hard! Beat matching ages to get the hang of, so it ain't all that easy! You could follow the pattern of the MOS cds but the idea is to do your own. Have a go sometime then come back and complain.

Dance music is very much driven by chart music now, very little original stuff around anymore, majority of the decent artists only seem to play sets at the moment no new releases or anything. Paul Van Dyk is very good, like his style. Fat Boy Slim does some really good sets and i'm sure it ain't easy.

Soldato
OP
If I was included in that comment- I understand that there is a skill to use decks as it is just another medium to create and compose music so you should see that I am not complaining at all about what is used to create the music.

Associate
Ah sorry, as usual i'm last to post in a thread :) i see your point mate, i wasn't having a go at you, just didn't think it fair for other people "oooh that is easy" when they haven't actually tried it.,

Soldato
Originally posted by LeoWyatt
Ah sorry, as usual i'm last to post in a thread :) i see your point mate, i wasn't having a go at you, just didn't think it fair for other people "oooh that is easy" when they haven't actually tried it.,

Thing is, if you've got a sense of rhythm give it a couple of hours and you'll be able to at least beat match. Give it another couple of hours and you'll be getting basic mixes off ok. A couple of months practice and you'll be fine at mixing consistently...

Mixing itself isn't that difficult at all. Judging a crowd and finding original tracks which get the crowd moving.... now that's tricky. :) Experience is the only way you pick that kind of knowledge up.

But compare that to the years it takes to master an instrument and then starting over again learning how to compose, and create the tunes that you hear in your head... Relatively speaking, DJing is easy. ;)

Associate
With regards to composing music then yes DJ is easy it's the same a playing an instrument in a general sense. But it isn't THAT easy.

I don't go for the dance music around now, there isn't any originality, besides faithless ain't doing much stuff at the moment :( I still happily listen to the Annual 2001 & 2000, can't stand the new stuff.

Permabanned
Early 90` to around 2001 was the best phase for me, was well into rave, and drum n bass (proper drum n bass with no mc`s) then brit pop was good too, and some of the trance from 98-2001 was ace. The stuf atm is sooo tedious and cheesy, ian van dahl should be shot on site!!! some dj`s are good, but it isnt the same as writing ur own stuff, but that goes for any genres, but then again some dj`s do good stuff, carl cox has a touch of skill, used to anyway:p

Any armin van buuren is the daddy atm

Back
Top Bottom