Cheezy Dance and general Manufactured Music

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by LeoWyatt
Ah sorry, as usual i'm last to post in a thread :) i see your point mate, i wasn't having a go at you, just didn't think it fair for other people "oooh that is easy" when they haven't actually tried it.,

No problem, I love these threads when debates start thats what makes music cool, everyone has their own opinion and tastes.

Associate
You dont need to learn an instrument to produce music. Some of teh best new talent i've heard is from people who do it all on the computer. Yeah you have to learn a lil bit of music theory but djs have to learn to beat match. Its fairly easy to get into mixing and producing given a few months. However, to do it at a professional level is a far different matter and i dont think u can compare the two and decide which is easiest. I am both a Dj and producer so for once I do know what i'm talking about. :)

Associate
Thing is, if you've got a sense of rhythm give it a couple of hours and you'll be able to at least beat match. Give it another couple of hours and you'll be getting basic mixes off ok

I think this is being really very optimistic, unless the person is an amazing natural.

It took me a good few weeks of practice before i could really be happy with any mix i did.

A year later, I was confindent enough to play live, due to practicing most days for an hour at least.

I think this is a fairly average timeframe for learning to DJ at the lowest level. Add on top of that the addition of effects units, third decks, etc. and I think it's fair to say that a top class DJ needs to have done as much work to get where they are as many musicians.

Anyway, that's just what I think....and it's a bit off topic. Sorry. I get a little annoyed when people seem not to realise what's involved.

Soldato
Originally posted by Black Knight
Anyway, that's just what I think....and it's a bit off topic. Sorry. I get a little annoyed when people seem not to realise what's involved.

Sorry, but I'm speaking from personal experience here... didn't take me long at all, but I admit - I've got a very musical background and I'm a professional audio engineer. Don't assume people don't know what they're talking about mate. ;)

I've taught mates to mix, and they picked it up quickly in the time frame I've listed (with CD / MP3).. Decks are a little more tricky since it's a bit more "physical".. But as I said *consistency* is the tricky bit which takes time and practice. :)

Associate
Depends what you're mixing too. To mix hip-hop well is hard because it has been around for so long. To get to the top would require a lot of skill - especially with the scratching etc. I would imagine that something like house is easier where the beat is consistent, although I'm not sure on this so sorry if I've offended house DJs ;)

Dan

Soldato
Originally posted by Spike
Depends what you're mixing too. To mix hip-hop well is hard because it has been around for so long. To get to the top would require a lot of skill - especially with the scratching etc. I would imagine that something like house is easier where the beat is consistent, although I'm not sure on this so sorry if I've offended house DJs ;)

Dan

I'd agree with that. :) Harder techno is soo easy to mix it's untrue since there's nothing particularly pitched. Trance can sometimes be pretty tricky since some tracks are pretty melodic or chordal which can lead to some nasty clashes when bringing something new in.. but generally it's OK. :)

Personally I find breakbeat stuff (D+B etc) a little more difficult to mix, yet mates of mine find other genres more difficult. :)

Permabanned
i mix UKG and old skool drum and base

i mix hiphop everynow and again but i dont have many records

i want to be the Uk no1 DMC champ but thats not happening :D

Associate
I started with house so mixing trance was easier. I found the faster it was the easier it was. However if u are used to 4 to the floor then u try and mix breakbeat then u may find it harder cos ur not used to it. I know a lot of ppl that h8 mixing music in a diff genre cos they are so used to their own.

Soldato
I find mixing breakbeat kinda based stuff (read: old skool hardcore!!!!!! yay lol) easier to mix than trance and techno... I have no idea why, plus you can mess about cutting and blending tunes in the mix more... but I find it generally easier. Weird.

I've got a musical background, numerous musical qualifications, can play instruments, write music etc but if you sat me down infront of reason 2 it'd take me a loooooooooong time to produce something which was any good. One day soon tho I hope to produce a blinder of a tune :D

Back
Top Bottom