Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Soldato
Watched the first two episodes last night. Excellent so far, both episodes flew by which for me is usually a sign of a program that has kept me engrossed.

I remember the news breaking when I was younger that the power plant had blown up, & not really thinking much of it.
Now looking back the sheer scale of what happened, & what could have happened is mind boggling.

Episode 3 & possibly 4 tonight for me

Soldato
I actually think the 10 years hard labour they got was pretty strong.
Bryukhanov (the plant manager) only served five, Formin (the plant manager's pet) only served 1 plus an addition couple in an asylum (tried to kill himself twice, once before the trial and again in prison), Dyatlov was released after three years.

Personally I don't feel it was strong, if anything they got off light. 10 years for the amount of murders they committed in cold blood, all to fuel their own greed/hubris.

Last edited:
Soldato
stonking. takes some writing to make dry data in a court monologue grippign, but they did it.
and man, one of the most touching lines "of all the politicians and party members, the mistake they made was sending the one good man."

belter of a series, i'm expecting it to mop up at virtually every award ceremony this year.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

stonking. takes some writing to make dry data in a court monologue grippign, but they did it.
and man, one of the most touching lines "of all the politicians and party members, the mistake they made was sending the one good man

Cracking piece of dialog, great scene :)

Soldato
Just reading a book by a Ukrainian chap called Serhii Plokhy titled ‘Chernobyl - History of Disaster’ and from reading that, it seems that Briukhanov gets a bit of a raw deal in the series. Apparently he was quite softly spoken and well liked according to the book, but the series portrays him as a bit of a blowhard douchebag. Dunno whether that can be attributed to artistic licence or a differing source as to his character.

Brilliant series anyway, the sense of menace posed throughout is truly palpable.

Soldato
and man, one of the most touching lines "of all the politicians and party members, the mistake they made was sending the one good man."

belter of a series, i'm expecting it to mop up at virtually every award ceremony this year.

It surely must. Just at a time where series struggle to deal with a finale they go and make it the best episode of the whole thing, it was top draw TV.

Caporegime
No people of colour, LGBT representation and no dragons or avocados.

I'm out raged!
https://www.rt.com/news/460958-chernobyl-hbo-racial-diversity-actors/

Seems some journalist have since found out there was one black guy near Chernobyl who was part of a bridge building platoon to help evacuate citizens across the river.

seems they should have included the 0.00001% in the show to not be racist.

All modern productions should include atleast 1 lesbian or gay couple sharing a kiss on screen.
Atleast 1 token black or asian guy.
and finally at least one vegetarian or trump supporter

Caporegime

I'm out raged!

Seems some journalist have since found out there was one black guy near Chernobyl who was part of a bridge building platoon to help evacuate citizens across the river.

All modern productions should include atleast 1 lesbian or gay couple sharing a kiss on screen.

It really is quite scary how millennials are turning out. I hope I am not bringing my daughter up in that way. Although this seems to only be an american type thing?

Caporegime
It really is quite scary how millennials are turning out. I hope I am not bringing my daughter up in that way. Although this seems to only be an american type thing?
I remember there was a time we could laugh at how stupid the Ali G character was for accusing those welsh miners of blacking up during one episode.

It's crazy how satire has became reality

Caporegime

I'm out raged!

A stupid story from Russia Today who found one idiot on twitter, out of billions of users and decided to make a clickbait story out of it.

Where is all the other outrage?

Soldato

I'm out raged!

the guy in the hospital ended up fairly black, I thought that would count.

Caporegime
If you work in manufacturing this is what most managers are like when something goes wrong. Deny, blame someone else, run (or in this case don't run - but get someone else to look at an open reactor several times).

Testimony is that this is what happened here.

To be fair even though he and everyone else was incompetent all the way from the party committee to the worker.
You misunderstand me, even though I thought I made myself clear. I am of course not talking about the portrayal of his incompetence and blame, I am talking about his performance as an actor in this role. For me, it was jarringly unconvincing. :)

Soldato
Brilliant show and I am gutted it's over. The podcast was also very interesting to listen along to after each episode.

Going to take something special to beat that.

Soldato
Cracking last episode. Very moving dialogue between Boris and Legasov. Loved the way they created the character of Ulana to represent all of the scientists that worked with Legasov. And especially that they called it out specifically. Nice touch.

Back
Top Bottom