** CHILDREN IN NEED - "JUST GIVING" MAKE YOUR DONATIONS PLEASE - OcUK **

Man of Honour
I'm slightly at a loss for words here. Money is being raised for charity here yet the focus for a number posting here appears to be that there are other ways to do it or that more could be done by people/the company - maybe that's true but we're still talking about what will hopefully be a not insignificant sum of money that the charity might otherwise not have received.

Just occasionally can we not look at the positives of what is being done rather than picking holes in it and saying that it's not all it could be.

Soldato
This is no marketing activity or PR exercise. It's the idea that a community can come together and help to achieve targets. Yes you could donate directly to Children in Need through the BBC website, which we are not stopping you if you would like to, however in the true spirit of community members it feels better look at the percentage bar raising within the Overclockers UK donation page and know that you have been a part of that. All the money is going to a good cause at the end of the day and changing lives for others. That is what is important in this matter.

Soldato
I'm slightly at a loss for words here. Money is being raised for charity here yet the focus for a number posting here appears to be that there are other ways to do it or that more could be done by people/the company - maybe that's true but we're still talking about what will hopefully be a not insignificant sum of money that the charity might otherwise not have received.

Just occasionally can we not look at the positives of what is being done rather than picking holes in it and saying that it's not all it could be.

I'm sure you can understand some of the cynicism though?

The point being made is that the use of JustGiving means a loss of 5% of donations in fees compared to if people were encouraged to donate directly with the only real difference being that JustGiving has OcUKs name on it.

It doesn't make a great deal of difference to me personally, I will donate how I donate regardless but I can see the point people are making.

Soldato
I'm slightly at a loss for words here. Money is being raised for charity here yet the focus for a number posting here appears to be that there are other ways to do
...other ways that don't take 5% of the donation out of the pocket of Children In Need (for the sake of showing off OcUK on a Just Giving page next to a £bignumber) which has a perfectly good donations system...

Caporegime
...other ways that don't take 5% of the donation out of the pocket of Children In Need (for the sake of showing off OcUK on a Just Giving page next to a £bignumber) which has a perfectly good donations system...

makes a good facebook status update on the ocuk page though if we can raise a decent amount via donations.

open your wallet you tight git!

Soldato
makes a good facebook status update on the ocuk page though if we can raise a decent amount via donations.
And this is all my point is. It is taking 5% out of the potential donations to Children In Need for 'a good status update' on the OcUK page. It's just not in the spirit of things. If OcUK was raising money on its own accord for some small local hospital or cause, then using Just Giving is justified - you need them to provide the logistics. In this case, it is 5% for the sake of branding.

open your wallet you tight git!
I have, thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Are companies not allowed to make money from charities? who pays the developers to develop the site? the hosting costs? the management/accounting tasks involved with running the site? should people do this for FREE?

we have a customer at work who is a charity, sure we give them preferential prices but just because they are a charity it doesn't mean we have to do things for free.

Soldato
I believe that this method of donating may get people to make two donations.

1. The usual way that they do it every year
2. Via our just giving page.

This means that C.I.N. may potentially have a bigger total amount from our forum users and customers this year. Surely that cannot be a bad thing.

I know in previous years I have donated directly on the evening when watching Terry Wogen and donated via my place of work too, if my work didn't facilitate this I would have only made the one donation.

It is such a shame that the world has so many cynical people in it. We try to help a worthy cause and people **** us off. I feel a little offended, so I can just imagine how Spie feels.

Soldato
I think saying its all about branding is overlooking the fact that just linking the direct site would be less effective at leveraging the community spirit of the forum than having an ocuk page they can feel part of when that number hits the target.

There's hardly much marketing value in a page that's advertised on a company owned forum anyway.

I get the point people are making about the 5% loss, but if having a page unified the forum a bit and raises more money then surely it balances out.

Commissario
I'm shocked by some of the comments in here! :mad: This is no PR exercise, this is OcUK utilising the wonderful community spirit we have here to help children in need.

I donated a tenner yesterday, and will be donating again when it's televised on the TV. :)

Soldato
I'm sorry, but SO WHAT if it's PR/Marketing?

Many many stores do fund-raising from their customers for Children in Need and you can simply go to hell if you don't like it.

Some people. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I'm sorry, but SO WHAT if it's PR/Marketing?

Many many stores do fund-raising from their customers for Children in Need and you can simply go to hell if you don't like it.

Some people. :rolleyes:

People are complaining because it's not fundraising, it's asking people to make a donation through the store with no participation from the company itself, at a loss to the charity compared to giving directly.

I'm not having a go, just explaining the situation to Asim. As i said before, i think it's a good idea, it's just that Children in Need isn't my "charity of choice".

Back
Top Bottom