1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chipped the telly...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by M0T, 10 Oct 2009.

1. M0T

Mobster

I noticed something on the screen of my 5 year old JVC CRT whilst playing FIFA earlier, which I thought was some dirt. It turned out to be a small chip, which got a little larger when I picked at it.

Anything I can do about it as now its all I can see when I watch the television. My mum suggested calling the house insurance and seeing if they will replace it - they arnt open until mmonday but does anyone know if this is something that might be covered?

2. PardonTheWait

Capodecina

I should imagine it would be covered, it's accidental damage, it's more a matter of whether it's worth claiming considering your excess and so on.

Sounds to me like an excellent excuse to buy a giant HDTV, guilt-free

3. mattyg

Sgarrista

You can get a pro polisher out but chances are there may still be some distortion to the picture.

Or get ya dremel out and have a go at polishing it. The CRT screen is about an inch or more thick so dont worry about breaking it

4. M0T

Mobster

Well I was debating getting a new telly, directline have a new for old policy so unless they are willing to give out vouchers I am not sure its worth claiming. But if they did it would up my tv budget a bit!

5. Belly

Wise Guy

You could try rubbing it down with liquid Brasso and soft cardboard

6. Tesla

Capodecina

How about trying a windscreen chip repair company?

7. M0T

Mobster

I did think about that, but the repairs they do are not completely undetectable, so I might as well get a new telly.