choke in online gaming

Soldato
OP
Sorry Tolien, you got there just before me!
Im using European servers all bellow 50ms pings it doesn't seem to matter which server I go into, the choke is the same.

Panzer

Soldato
Yes i get fed up with choke and lag in games too.

For me its not the ping thats the issue, i get 15-30 mainly, but its the way in games online it feels nothing is hitting properly, i know you will say its to do with my config but its not.

Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 2272
US Margin 31
DS Margin 20
DS Line Attenuation 37
US Line Attenuation 44

And those are my stats

Associate
OMG you guys have managed to really confuse matters.

So its obvious that he's on a 2mb connection, BT have changed the pricing scheme, and most people are now on the fastest connections their lines will support, however its not his connection that is causing the choke.

the key to rates in source is having them sync to the average FPS.

I've got a TFT @ 60hz, I've set FPS_MAX to 63, cl_cmdrate to 60, cl_updaterate to 60 and rate to 25000. I get zero choke and loss. My machine constantly pumps out 60 fps.

If your machine is unable to draw 100FPS all the time you will see choke and loss as you are trying to send / receive data your machine cannot process.

You need to ensure that your rates are set to match the FPS your machine can handle. If you can only average 30fps, then reduce your rates to 30.

Network issues will go away.

Associate
Phnom_Penh said:
Nope, he's on 1Mb. Yes that's the way to do it, but fps won't remove network issues if he's only getting 400 kb/s downrate.

What the hell do you mean he's on 1mb. He's syncing at 2mb speeds. Whether or not he is getting the full speed from the connection is a seperate measure.

This is fixable with his rates. They key is to log them into his average FPS.

At the moment he is trying to send / receive data he can't process ergo the network issues.

Soldato
ecksmen said:
What the hell do you mean he's on 1mb. He's syncing at 2mb speeds. Whether or not he is getting the full speed from the connection is a seperate measure.

Ever heard of traffic shaping? His line syncs @ 2Mbit then Pipex throttle the connection to 1Mbit. He has a 1Mbit connection.

Soldato
ecksmen said:
? The connection is throttled using radius, he's on 1mb even if he's synching at 2272.

Soldato
OP
Right guys,

Thank you all very much this thread has fixed two very annoying problems (Java and Online play) and it seems to have fixed the poor connection to the internet through upgrading the firmware of the router. However, does it still seem to you guys that there is a problem with the statistics on the line? Is there anything more I can do?

Thanks to ecksmen for pointing out the rates issues, I did what you said and it has more or less cleared it up. I'm still getting a bit of choke but nothing like as bad.

A bit of a slog but I think we have got there.

Cheers

Panzer

Soldato
No problem with the stats on your line, there was just a little confusion.

To make things clear, your ADSL is actually connected at 2Mbit (2272Kbit) but Pipex then throttle your connection down to 1Mbit.

Theory says that if you decide to upgrade to 2Mbit at a later date, all Pipex need to do is press a few buttons and you can be up and running with 2Mbit in a couple of minutes. The other way is that they would need to request BT to regrade your line from 1Mbit to 2Mbit which would take a few days and you'd also be charged for the regrade as BT woudl charge Pipex for the work.

Soldato
OP
OK guys thanks for clearing up the confusion :)
The stats are the same after the Firmware upgrade so I guess I should look into the kitty and see if I can afford the upgrade to 2MB!

Cheers Guys

Panzer

Back
Top Bottom