1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choose btween two xp install on boot

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by NuTz, 25 Jul 2006.

1. NuTz

Gangster

Hi all,
    wonder if you can help, i had some hard drives troubles over the weekend and ended up installing xp onto a spare drive and formatting/reinstalling xp on the drive i broke.

I have no disconnected the old drive but it still asks me to choose between two xp installs when i boot and im not quite sure how to amend it, I have looked under the boot tab in msconfig and the are 2 entries under operating systems but i cant 'delete' the one i dont want.

Is it a text file i have to amend somewhere or something completely different? :confused:

2. Hxc

Capodecina

Right click on My Computer > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings > Click edit, then you can delete the bit ou don't want, my file looks like this for reference

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

3. NuTz

Gangster

cheers

4. Nem

Wise Guy

Easier and safer to do start > run > msconfig > boot.ini tab > check all boot paths > remove undeeded one it finds.

Nick