1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a DSLR to Travel

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by ink1337, 28 Feb 2016.

1. ink1337

Associate

Hey,

I'm going to be doing a fair bit of travelling this summer and want to take a Camera with me! Most of the photography is going to be outdoors, landscape street photography etc so lots of sand,dust,rain to contend with.
    I've done a bit of research and with my budget a Canon 70D seems a good choice due to its weather sealing and pretty reasonable pricing atm. However I can't really decide so would greatly appreciate any advice!

Should I go for an older weather proofed camera, or something non-weather sealed like the canon 760D (higher pixel density/newer tech)?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

2. Minstadave

Caporegime

Id seriously consider mirrorless or even a compact like the rx100 if travelling rather than a dslr.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2016
  3. King4aDay

Mobster

I'd totally be looking at m43 for this - Olympus EM5 II or EM10 II, or Panasonic GX7 or GX8 depending on where your preferences for weather sealing and features lie. Even the old mk1 EM5 would give you weather sealing and good performance for very little outlay, leaving plenty of budget for lenses.

4. wez130

Capodecina

I'll echo both of the above, go mirrorless, it's more portable, you can erven put lenses in spare pockets so you're not hauling bags around.

5. munge

Hitman

Assuming you're having to go Canon, I wouldn't worry too much about weather sealing. I've trawled through jungle in Borneo and rainforest in Madagascar with weather and non-weather sealed cameras and to be honest, I had more sea spray etc on my non-weather sealed cameras though neither failed. At the end of the day, unless you're doing pro stuff, just go with whichever camera you like that accommodates the lenses you want and go from there.

With the right carrying system, nothing is too much of a pain if you're prepared to carry and the bottom line is take what you need to achieve your photos. I wouldn't worry about weather sealing.

I also have a RX100 Mk 4 and that's great camera too that I'm more than sure could take (most of) the required photos.

6. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I've been a recent convert to the RX100 (mark II in my case) and it has been a revelation. I take it everywhere, meaning I'm taking it to places where I'd never have taken my SLR. Small, tough, charges by USB and has WiFi. Brilliant little camera and, as I'm discovering, a great sensor capable of some really good photos.

7. ink1337

Associate

Thanks for the responses everyone! Having looked at the suggestions I think for the time being I'll go for the RX100 as it seems like a solid overall package for the money!

8. a1ex2001

Capodecina

it is a great travel cam will enable you to get all those memory shots as it will always be with you and also has the quality to take some great 'real' photographs.

9. Minstadave

Caporegime

I don't think you can go wrong to be honest. I'd probably get the mkiii or iv with the EVF of funds allow.

10. mid_gen

Capodecina

I schlepped through rainforests and slept in the mud with my RX100 frequently dripping in moisture and it's never skipped a beat.

Hard to beat as a travel camera.

11. --- Z ---

Hitman

I have a Canon 5D MKII as my main camera, but was leaving it at home due to size and weight. I recently picked up a RX100M4 in New York, and for then on have left my Canon at home. Takes amazing photos and fits in a pocket (OK, the camera menu takes a little to get used to) love it.

12. ethan

Sgarrista

I can believe that given the amount of rain I put my MKII through in Scotland a few weeks back. My XT10 malfunctioned at one point and just couldn't cope. The size of the Sony makes it easier to protect.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2016
  13. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

Sony a7mk2 or a7rmk2

14. mrcpickering

Gangster

If you're really worried about dust and rain you can get a rain cover. Like a little jacket for your camera. I've used one at sea and they work very well.

15. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

I must add, it depends where u are traveling. Traveling to iceland? no mirrorless can cope on those extreme weather conditions.

Going to the amazon rainforest? the humid conditons will insantly kill your mirrorless.

grab a DSLR if traveling on all sorts of conditions

16. --- Z ---

Hitman

There is no way he can afford that if he is looking at a Canon 70D or 760D. You are looking £2-3K for that set up.

17. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

What about the old A7 camera?

he hasnt said a budget so how do we know?

18. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

Also what about a a6000 Sony

19. --- Z ---

Hitman

But he does say that a Canon 70D is juts within his budget. that is around the £700 mark.

A Sony A7MK2 or A7Rmk2 are at least double that.

I agree with you, they are awesome cameras, and if I had the cash now and wanted high end equipment, this is what I would go with. But we dont all have the cash for this.

An A6000, is a cheaper alternative if mirrorless is wanted/needed.

20. Minstadave

Caporegime

I'm confused you seem to be randomly suggesting getting a DSLR, then a 2-3k mirrorless, then a £400 mirrorless.