Chop your breakfast on a mirror

Man of Honour
Hate said:
who invented it then?

The term 'Heavy Metal' was first used to describe Led Zeppelin - FACT - although listening to Zeppelin now doesn't warrant that title.
To use Led Zeppelin and AC/DC in the same sentence is stupid because of the amount of years difference.
When AC/DC first came to this country they were originally labelled as New Wave/Punk and then quickly labelled as a poor mans Status Quo :eek: - how times change.
Funnily enough I never heard the term heavy metal used for Black Sabbath during the early 70's.
Somebody made a good point on here last year that maybe Judas Priest with their Sad Wings Of Destiny album was probably the first true heavy metal band and I wouldn't disagree because they were a sight to behold in the early 70's.

Last year I was waiting with my two teenage daughters for over a hour in the car and I was playing Led Zep and Sabbath and I wouldn't tell them who I was listening to. After about a hour I told them who it was and one of them said that they always thought those two bands were supposed to be heavy and the music they listen to was heavier than that.
They were comparing them to the Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers etc and I suppose to their ears those bands are heavier than Zep and Sabbath.

Soldato
I thought heavy metal was used to describe something by hendrix "his music sounds like a load of heavy metal being dropped on a solid floor" or something like that (then again, that was "bloke down the pub that knows all" talk)

Soldato
Hate said:
I thought heavy metal was used to describe something by hendrix "his music sounds like a load of heavy metal being dropped on a solid floor" or something like that (then again, that was "bloke down the pub that knows all" talk)

Not Hendrix, Led Zep as dmpoole said in the post above yours.

Man of Honour
Hate said:
then again, that was "bloke down the pub that knows all" talk

That was me then (or Penski) :p

I believe the term was first used in a book by Edgar Rice Burroughs when he wrote about Heavy Metal Kids. An American journalist then took that and put it against Led Zep.
Of course, there was a 70's band called The Heavy Metal kids fronted by Gary Holton who was a madman. He ended up being an actor in Auf Weidersehn Pet and ended up dying.
They were nothing to do with Heavy Metal but were just a great pop/rock act.

Back
Top Bottom