Christmas dinner ideas and tips

Soldato
I’ve made Christmas Dinner for the last few years and while it’s all been good (if I do say so myself) I feel like it’s lacking something...

I see it as the best meal of the year so looking to smash this years out the park! I make Sunday lunch quite often and want it to be a good step up in quality and variety.

Has anyone got any tips or ideas to try? I only usually do turkey but thinking of doing a second meat this year.

Soldato
Religously now and never a unhappy face

Cook the Jamie oliver's potatoes with garlic and rosemary.
Jamie olivers get ahead gravy is unreal like the best gravy you will ever have
Fry sprouts in butter

Associate
Religously now and never a unhappy face

Cook the Jamie oliver's potatoes with garlic and rosemary.
Jamie olivers get ahead gravy is unreal like the best gravy you will ever have
Fry sprouts in butter

I was a bit meh with the gravy when I did it...my plan is this year to do it with the giblets on the day. I'm also going to stump up for one of those Kelly bronze turkeys to see how that is.

Mine are usually very good anyway, so want to see how this bird performs (I usually go for a waitrose turkey!)

Soldato
I was a bit meh with the gravy when I did it...my plan is this year to do it with the giblets on the day. I'm also going to stump up for one of those Kelly bronze turkeys to see how that is.

Mine are usually very good anyway, so want to see how this bird performs (I usually go for a waitrose turkey!)

Funny I always find it unreal, very tasty but what was meh about it? interested?

We do multiple meats
Turkey obviously.
Beef and duck.
Beef is cooked day before in the slow cooker, then recooked on the day to crisp it up. This way its tender from teh slow cook but has that bark outside

Potatos we use a potato seasoning, so something along the lines of the tesco one. Easy to make yourself and fine tune to your flavours
(Durum Wheat Semolina (80%), Salt, Onion, Black Pepper, Rosemary, White Pepper, Rosemary Powder, Thyme)

Soldato
OP
How do you do your potatoes? sprouts? Gravy?

Potatoes I par boil and then coat in flour, always come out pretty good but as previouly mentioned I want best roaties ever quality this year! Possibly thinking of using Goose fat rather than oil to roast them? Might have a trial run but does cooling the potatoes or even putting them in the fridge for a day make any difference?

Sprouts just steam them but might try pan frying them with some bacon and some garlic this year.

Gravy, I used the Jamie Oliver recipe from his Christmas tv show (not the one linked above) and it was pretty good but will try his alternate method.

Soldato
Potatoes I par boil and then coat in flour, always come out pretty good but as previouly mentioned I want best roaties ever quality this year! Possibly thinking of using Goose fat rather than oil to roast them? Might have a trial run but does cooling the potatoes or even putting them in the fridge for a day make any difference?

Sprouts just steam them but might try pan frying them with some bacon and some garlic this year.

Gravy, I used the Jamie Oliver recipe from his Christmas tv show (not the one linked above) and it was pretty good but will try his alternate method.

Check out "smashed roast potatoes"

I had some as a side in a deli recently and they were amazing.

Suppose it all depends on the people, i like roasties with fresh rosemary and thyme but that's not for everyone.

I don't bother with flour, i think par boiling and then giving a good shake around to break them up a little works brilliantly though for getting lots of lovely crispiness. Goose Fat is good, but i like to roll them around in the tray i've roasted the meat in.

Soldato
OP
Check out "smashed roast potatoes"

I had some as a side in a deli recently and they were amazing.

Suppose it all depends on the people, i like roasties with fresh rosemary and thyme but that's not for everyone.

I don't bother with flour, i think par boiling and then giving a good shake around to break them up a little works brilliantly though for getting lots of lovely crispiness. Goose Fat is good, but i like to roll them around in the tray i've roasted the meat in.

Will check it out thanks. Whats the best potatoes to use for roasting?

Soldato
With potatoes I would

Always par boil and beat them up a bit. I prefer smaller sizes that bigger

Heat oil up in a shallow tray, remove from oven add whole garlic cloves in skin from a couple of bulbs and also add lots of rosmary sprigs (fresh and picked. put over a the hob for a few mins untill siziling and giving the oil the best flavours. spread it about a bit and then tip the potatoes in, turn them a few times to get a bit of nice oil everywhere and add salt and pepper, add a bit more rosmary for the tops and cook in a oven at about 200 degrees for about 1 hour turnings them inbetween at about 40 mins. I dont take or save loads of photos but heres one i found
Untitled by Ross c, on Flickr

If you have a deep fat frier or even a air frier wash the potatoe skins under the tap and dry with paper towel. fry for about 10 mins, add salt and pepper. A great side dish while things are underway

Pigs in blankets, always buy nice chipolatas and add some nice bacon rashers (streakey and smoked) ideally chesnut

Last edited:
Associate
Spuds:

Par boil, drain and allow to cool
Preheat the tin in the oven with a good amount of rapeseed oil (not olive oil) or goose fat
Throw a bit of rapeseed oil or goose fat into the saucepan along with some salt, pepper and rosemary or thyme
Shake around for a bit with the lid on
Put into the hot oil and quickly give a gentle toss around
Into the oven for 30-40 mins at 200C, giving another toss about halfway through

Soldato
Spuds:

Par boil, drain and allow to cool
Preheat the tin in the oven with a good amount of rapeseed oil (not olive oil) or goose fat
Throw a bit of rapeseed oil or goose fat into the saucepan along with some salt, pepper and rosemary or thyme
Shake around for a bit with the lid on
Put into the hot oil and quickly give a gentle toss around
Into the oven for 30-40 mins at 200C, giving another toss about halfway through

I love groundnut oil for anything like this generally (oven chips, roasties etc)

I always hear good stuff about rapeseed oil though so might try that out too.

Back
Top Bottom