Chunk out of Tyre Sidewall Missing, is it safe?

Associate
Hey all, hope everyone is well.

Recently bought an approved used car from Mercedes just before all the madness began, I have just noticed some slight damage to one of the tyres. I am assuming this is safe, as Mercedes must have noticed it surely. Any how pic below:

fC2ZXBu.png

Soldato
It seems to be a little open to interpretation.

A tyre seriously damaged - Major
Cords visible or damaged - Dangerous

Tyres fail if they have serious cuts, bulges or other damage

Man of Honour
Wouldn't say I'd consider that [completely] safe - that crack at the back could expand under stress potentially leading to a more concerning issue - definitely something to monitor especially if doing longer journeys - unlikely to go suddenly from that to dangerous though especially on shorter journeys.

Man of Honour
You can see the contour of the rim protector about 1/3rd of the way in on the left - I'm not sure towards the middle it hasn't gone far enough stress might eventually start to weaken the more critical part of the tyre - definitely something I'd be monitoring often.

Associate
There is no way I would want to drive on that tyre at high speeds.
The problem is that crack near the middle of the "P" ... you have no idea how deep that is, and a sidewall blowout at speed could ruin your day and that of the car next to you,

Associate
There is no way I would want to drive on that tyre at high speeds.
The problem is that crack near the middle of the "P" ... you have no idea how deep that is, and a sidewall blowout at speed could ruin your day and that of the car next to you,

My thoughts as well - for the sake of a new tyre not worth the risk in my opinion. It may well be ok and last until the tyre needs replacing, but there is no way to be absolutely sure, and the consequences of a blow out are far worse than the cost of replacement now.

If it was my car, I'd be changing it just for the peace of mind.

Soldato
surprised you wouldn't have seen it at purchase time - reputable dealer would have mentioned it ... did they have, add, photos.
where have you driven and parked ... could you do that kerbing , or has it got to be high speed

Soldato
You can see the contour of the rim protector about 1/3rd of the way in on the left - I'm not sure towards the middle it hasn't gone far enough stress might eventually start to weaken the more critical part of the tyre - definitely something I'd be monitoring often.

That isn't a crack, it's just how the rubber has torn.

Back
Top Bottom